The Student Room Group

alone at university

im 20 year-old girl and i dont have any friends at uni,because i dont trust the people . This situation does not makes me so bad, but im afraid to become mad because of being asocial.
just talk to people! dont be so hardened :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
im 20 year-old girl and i dont have any friends at uni,because i dont trust the people . This situation does not makes me so bad, but im afraid to become mad because of being asocial.

Hi,

Trusting people is difficult, I didn't really open up to many people because of it. I can be friendly towards others, but it takes me a while to get close. It really is a leap of faith. Making friends isn't mandatory, I know people who enjoy their own company.

However, I do recommend challenging yourself and to dip outside your comfort zone from time to time. You never really know if you don't try. Going to university is an opportunity to grow as a person and to learn new things and experiences; not just a pathway to get a degree.

I hope this helps,

- Jesse, 3rd Year Animation Student

Hi,

It can be hard to make friends at university. I would suggest maybe joining some clubs or societies to meet people who may have similar interests to you or even push yourself out of your comfort zone and talk to people on your course. Uni is a great place to meet lots of new people and make lifelong friends.

Kasey - University of Law Student Ambassador

Hi there,

I am sorry to hear that you're in this situation.

I would encourage you to explain your feelings to your university's student support team, or your academic advisor. They're here to help you, and I'm sure that they will be able to help you and introduce you to any schemes, or 'meeting-people' events. As well, have you looked into any societies which spark your interest? This may be a great way to get stuck into something new, and meet people that you would not have met otherwise. Sometimes, it can be really difficult to do things out of your comfort zone - but University really is a time to try new things. The great thing about societies too is that you're not 'stuck', so if you didn't enjoy it you don't have to go again.

I hope that helps, I wish you the best of luck.

Ana - University Ambassador :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest