Yet another Business Studies vs Economics thread

Watch this thread
FinleyCodes
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hello fellow students,

I've been thinking about choosing Business Studies or Economics as a GCSE option. I've heard that at GCSE, both subjects have an overlapping and very similar curriculum, and was wondering if you could please give me some advice. I know there's like seventeen thousand threads about this already, but I'm interested in what the best option would be in my scenario - I'm interested mostly in the starting and growing a business aspect, managing bigger businesses, but I'm also interetested in the stock market. I'm not really interested in the ethics part of Business Studies, which I've heard people say is quite prominent. As of now, I'm only really interested in taking this at GCSE (though I may decide later to study further), though I have heard that Business Studies isn't very respected by sixth forms, colleges, and universities - I've also heard that Economics has most of the content from Business Studies and more. I'm doing well in maths, so the mathmatical side of Economics wouldn't be an issue.

Any advice is truly appreciated,
Thanks,
Finn
chocolatecake738
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
Hi, I didn’t do economics so can’t comment on that but I do do business. As far as there being ethics I can’t remember doing much on that so I would say it’s probably not that prominent. The most we covered of ethics was occasionally commenting on a case study saying that the business is promoting its self as ethical so that they are able to charge a higher price as customers are willing to pay more meaning they make more profit. That’s about it so don’t let that put you off the subject. The topics covered in aqa are: business in the real world, influences on business, business operations, Human Resources, marketing and finance. As subject I would say that it’s fairly easy as long as you are somewhat logical. Which can make it slightly boring at times as it is just common sense. However I did find it interesting and it was by far my favourite subject I really liked how it linked to the real world unlike other subjects at gcse. Also when applying for sixth form they generally don’t care about subjects other than the core ones just having good grades. Subjects only matter once you get to a level as university’s are particular about them. I would say have a look at specifications and see what you are most interested in.
FinleyCodes
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by chocolatecake738)
Hi, I didn’t do economics so can’t comment on that but I do do business. As far as there being ethics I can’t remember doing much on that so I would say it’s probably not that prominent. The most we covered of ethics was occasionally commenting on a case study saying that the business is promoting its self as ethical so that they are able to charge a higher price as customers are willing to pay more meaning they make more profit. That’s about it so don’t let that put you off the subject. The topics covered in aqa are: business in the real world, influences on business, business operations, Human Resources, marketing and finance. As subject I would say that it’s fairly easy as long as you are somewhat logical. Which can make it slightly boring at times as it is just common sense. However I did find it interesting and it was by far my favourite subject I really liked how it linked to the real world unlike other subjects at gcse. Also when applying for sixth form they generally don’t care about subjects other than the core ones just having good grades. Subjects only matter once you get to a level as university’s are particular about them. I would say have a look at specifications and see what you are most interested in.
Thanks for the reply! I did end up looking at the course specification for both (my school does Edexcel for Business and OCR for Economics) as well as speaking to the heads of departments. I'd say I'm quite logical, so that's no issue. In the end, I've decided to go with Business (seeing as none of the stuff I'm interested in is in Economics, but all in Business). Thanks for the advice, it's been really helpful
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA Combined Science - Biology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (40)
33.33%
The paper was reasonable (48)
40%
Not feeling great about that exam... (20)
16.67%
It was TERRIBLE (12)
10%

Watched Threads