Why do some people find it hard to apologise?

Watch this thread
Kutie Karen
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Why do some people find it hard to apologise?

Is it seen as a sign of weakness?
username5857626
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
Thought the same about your username.
Kutie Karen
Rep:
(Original post by Bronfenbrennerzy)
Thought the same about your username.
:confused:
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Many people are too proud to say that they are sorry or refuse to admit to ever being wrong.
To anyone including themselves.

A few have a long history of being bullied in early life then told by third parties to apologize to the very bully that openly made their life a misery and as adults view all requests/social pressure to ever apologize for anything as a form of gaslighting.
The latter interpreting such behaviour as being targeted yet again for further episodes of abuse.
Or humiliation attempts intended to compel them to conform to other people's religious beliefs while knowing that they are not in the wrong.
Some people also have personalities that prefer to sulk/be angry/pretend they were right than apologise or view giving an apology as a sign of weakness.
I've only ever apologised once in my life and am unlikely to ever put myself in such a situation again.
Muttly
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Saying sorry for some people is an admission of failure - A narcissist will never apologise but will want to blame others or just get angry.
If you are a person how has been 'wounded or hurt' by someone else's behaviour it can be a very painful process to experience.

We are trained and coerced not to apologise by insurance companies and Health Boards (Trusts) - It's a legal requirement to 'Never apologise' - payouts are affected by it.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if legislation allowed for a person who had made a genuine mistake in any capacity to apologise at the time or a short time afterwards without that apology being allowed to be used against them in civil litigation?

In hospital accidents or individual negligence time and time again - we hear - That 'they' (The Trust) have evaded, colluded, covered up and never apologised ever. This is terrible. It stops the healing process as the anger is usually so caustic and internalised. The apology is the validation of the victim's hurt inside. Not to say it compounds the hurt so many times over.

In car accidents - drivers are told by insurance companies - 'Don't apologise' - yet the anger and hurt caused by another's inability to apologise is a long lasting scar often preceded by road rage? We can gain so much more when the words expressing 'sorry' are genuine and heartfelt.
Kutie Karen
Rep:
(Original post by Muttly)
Saying sorry for some people is an admission of failure - A narcissist will never apologise but will want to blame others or just get angry.
If you are a person how has been 'wounded or hurt' by someone else's behaviour it can be a very painful process to experience.

We are trained and coerced not to apologise by insurance companies and Health Boards (Trusts) - It's a legal requirement to 'Never apologise' - payouts are affected by it.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if legislation allowed for a person who had made a genuine mistake in any capacity to apologise at the time or a short time afterwards without that apology being allowed to be used against them in civil litigation?

In hospital accidents or individual negligence time and time again - we hear - That 'they' (The Trust) have evaded, colluded, covered up and never apologised ever. This is terrible. It stops the healing process as the anger is usually so caustic and internalised. The apology is the validation of the victim's hurt inside. Not to say it compounds the hurt so many times over.

In car accidents - drivers are told by insurance companies - 'Don't apologise' - yet the anger and hurt caused by another's inability to apologise is a long lasting scar often preceded by road rage? We can gain so much more when the words expressing 'sorry' are genuine and heartfelt.
I think what you say makes loads of sense, Pity I can't give a rep again! I never thought of institutions preventing people from apologizing due to potential payouts. We all make mistakes and sometimes we know that people are lying and covering up which makes it a million times worse.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (19)
20.21%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (11)
11.7%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (5)
5.32%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (16)
17.02%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (23)
24.47%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (20)
21.28%

Watched Threads