How do I choose which Uni offer to accept?

Watch this thread
sbstn_hll_
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I'm applying to study environmental science and I have received 4/5 of my uni option offers so far. I am having a hard time deciding which ones to accept. Any advice?
Last edited by sbstn_hll_; 3 months ago
jayls
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
Make a pro-con list for all of your options.
sbstn_hll_
Rep:
(Original post by jayls)
Make a pro-con list for all of your options.
Thank you!
lalenemalik1998
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Hey,

I am a MA student at university and i can tell you what i have done to reach my final uni decision:
-Make a pro/cons list for each universities you chose.
-Go to open days (if they have one).
-Speak to current students via unibuddy (you can search up on uni's website, some offer unibuddy option to allow you to speak to current students).
-Look at its review.
-See which universities' modules interest you the most.
-If possible, watch students' videos based on the subject you chose at a particular university.
-Speak to your friends and families and get their opinions
sbstn_hll_
Rep:
(Original post by lalenemalik1998)
Hey,

I am a MA student at university and i can tell you what i have done to reach my final uni decision:
-Make a pro/cons list for each universities you chose.
-Go to open days (if they have one).
-Speak to current students via unibuddy (you can search up on uni's website, some offer unibuddy option to allow you to speak to current students).
-Look at its review.
-See which universities' modules interest you the most.
-If possible, watch students' videos based on the subject you chose at a particular university.
-Speak to your friends and families and get their opinions
That is great advice, Thank you.
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
More advice here - https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/advice...urance-choices

And once you have decided, sit on your hands until Easter because you are likely to change your mind at least once.
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by sbstn_hll_)
I'm applying to study environmental science and I have received 4/5 of my uni option offers so far. I am having a hard time deciding which ones to accept. Any advice?
Hi @sbstn_hll_,
I study environmental science at Sheffield Hallam. What attracted me to the course was the wide range of subjects covered, which then can be narrowed down as you continue the degree. I think this is a good attribute to look for in a course because it means you can find what you are truly interested in and want to eventually pursue a career in. Obviously its not all about the course though. Definitely go to open days. You only truly get a feeling for a uni when you physically go there and see the campus and city.
-Grace
wolves2003
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Go to any offer holder days the unis may have - especially if you weren't able to visit them at an open day before
sbstn_hll_
Rep:
(Original post by hallamstudents)
Hi @sbstn_hll_,
I study environmental science at Sheffield Hallam. What attracted me to the course was the wide range of subjects covered, which then can be narrowed down as you continue the degree. I think this is a good attribute to look for in a course because it means you can find what you are truly interested in and want to eventually pursue a career in. Obviously its not all about the course though. Definitely go to open days. You only truly get a feeling for a uni when you physically go there and see the campus and city.
-Grace
Thank you so much!
sbstn_hll_
Rep:
(Original post by wolves2003)
Go to any offer holder days the unis may have - especially if you weren't able to visit them at an open day before
Thank you!
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Going to their open days and application experience days would be my best advice, its a great way to get a feel for the campus and living arrangements. You can also contact the staff to ask any questions and ask students about living there.

Read in depth about the course material and assessment strategies. Then you should get a better idea of which one will suit you

Andrew
University of Portsmouth Student Ambassador
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Thank you!
Try to go to offer holders days.

Look at how you'll be assessed - do you prefer coursework or exams?

What sort of place do you want to live? Big city/small city: Campus uni/non-campus:
AmyErskine01
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
I’m on exactly the same boat right now, 4/5 offers currently and applying for Environmental Science, currently having an aneurism trying to decide what firm choice I’ll go for. Have you decided what you’ll go for yet?
University of Bath
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Firstly, go to the university websites and read through the information they give on what the course would be like. Each university offers different things for the same course name, so see what interests you most.

Also have a look at the town/city the university is based in. Go and visit as many of those campuses/cities to get a feel for which environment suits you best and feels the most like home.

It's also definitely worth contacting people via unibuddy like others have said - you can message people here who do Environmental Science at the universities you've applied to and hear what they have to say about it, which can be invaluable as a current student's perspective can offer an entirely different insight to what you will read online.

Finally, think about what's important to you. You may decide that you need accommodation with an ensuite, so you can look at which universities have this option at a reasonable price. You may be very interested in the nightlife, so you might want to choose bigger cities with more going out options. Go through and list the things you want in a university and look to see which checks the most boxes.

Let me know if you have any more questions.
Isobel (2nd year maths)
username5919249
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Consider following factors:
- Location, are you into the hustle and bustle of city life or just dc
- Accommodation house prices vary significantly throughout the country.
- Communities - perhaps you might belong to a religious or ethnic community and want to connect with those people, then you'd choose the uni which has a greater presence of that.
- Campus, which look nicer and more appealing to you.
- Prestige, do you only care about just going there or leaving or do you want the name attached to a specific uni?
sbstn_hll_
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by AmyErskine01)
I’m on exactly the same boat right now, 4/5 offers currently and applying for Environmental Science, currently having an aneurism trying to decide what firm choice I’ll go for. Have you decided what you’ll go for yet?
I’m still a bit unsure as I haven’t received all my offers yet but of my offers I’m leaning towards Nottingham at the moment. I play American football and they play it at Nottingham in the top league and it is a lovely campus with a great community feel to it so that helps give it a slight edge, but In terms of the course all the ones I have applied to have similar structure and content so based on that it’s hard to decide, so I’m looking at other factors really eg city, societies, opportunities etc. where have you applied and do you have any ideas of where you’d like to go?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (132)
43.14%
Not yet, but I will soon (54)
17.65%
No (120)
39.22%

Watched Threads