The Student Room Group

is there any point applying to 2 really similar courses at the same uni

im considering using 2 of my ucas choices to apply to:

Biochemistry with Industrial Placement MBio - University of Warwick - ABB (contextual)
Biochemistry BSc - University of Warwick - BBB (contextual)

i'm thinking that the BBB one will be good for something to fall back on, and the ABB one is good cause it's got an industrial placement

but idk if this is a waste of ucas options or not or if it's worth applying twice to the same uni?? what do you guys think
Reply 1
Is it possible to transfer between the two courses? And what are you predicted at the moment
Original post by IJaguar
Is it possible to transfer between the two courses? And what are you predicted at the moment

im predicted ABB and i dont think it is since they're two different courses with completely different entry req's
Reply 3
Original post by eternaldevotiion
im predicted ABB and i dont think it is since they're two different courses with completely different entry req's

I'd recommend applying for at least one course below ABB then, to be on the safe side. Maybe call or email Warwick to ask about the possibility of transferring between the two courses?
Original post by IJaguar
I'd recommend applying for at least one course below ABB then, to be on the safe side. Maybe call or email Warwick to ask about the possibility of transferring between the two courses?

if i'm already thinking about applying to one course with requirements below ABB (aston which is BBB) then do i really need another BBB?
Reply 5
if i'm already thinking about applying to one course with requirements below ABB (aston which is BBB) then do i really need another BBB?

Is Warwick your first choice? And what grades are required for your other choices?
Original post by IJaguar
Is Warwick your first choice? And what grades are required for your other choices?

i dont really have a preference of choices yet

altogether the grades for my 5 choices i'm thinking about are:
ABB
BBB
BBB
ABB
AAB
Reply 7
i dont really have a preference of choices yet

altogether the grades for my 5 choices i'm thinking about are:
ABB
BBB
BBB
ABB
AAB

You have one above, two at and two below your predicted grades, so I'd say that that's quite safe

speak to the department as there are often opportunities to change between the Bachelorsand a the undergrad masters in the same dept after common first and/or second years
Reply 9
Just a reminder that the one with the industry year is also an integrated masters, whereas the standard BSc is of course a Bachelor program. So the MBio would end up being 5 years with the industry placement.

Biochemistry with Industrial Placement MBio - University of Warwick - ABB (contextual)
Biochemistry BSc - University of Warwick - BBB (contextual)

They have different entry requirements and this suggests that the placement course is far more competitive and/or as its an M course the placement course requires evidence of higher ability. Your choices are sensible and yes, you could therefore have F&I at the same Uni.
Original post by jray204
Just a reminder that the one with the industry year is also an integrated masters, whereas the standard BSc is of course a Bachelor program. So the MBio would end up being 5 years with the industry placement.

on the website it says 4 years???? so i dont know

The content of the two courses appears to be identical apart from the industrial placement year. It might be worth asking the department about whether it is possible to transfer between them, and if so on what basis. You could also ask whether you might get an alternative offer for the BSc if you applied only to the MBio but were rejected.
(edited 2 years ago)
on the website it says 4 years???? so i dont know

Hmm, not sure then. The MBio will be more advanced anyway though so. BSc being 3 years. Maybe the 4 doesn't include the placement year? But kinda odd to me haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending