Dentistry after a Medical Degree

Watch this thread
CouchPotato708
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hey.

I am looking to doing dentistry after I finish my medical school and training as I am really interested in Max Fax surgery. Does anyone know of universities, other than King's College London, that accept med students? Especially starting in 3rd year instead of the 1st year.

I also want to know if I can work as a dentist if I am unsuccessful in getting onto the surgery training? I am happy to work as a medical doctor but dentistry was also a top choice for me.

Any info regarding this transition is welcome! I am in 1st year so I still have a while yet to start clinicals. But it doesn't hurt to become organised now
thegeek888
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
A friend of mine applied for Glasgow, Kings College London, Queen Mary University of London and Liverpool University. He got rejected from all, based on not having above C's in Biology and Chemistry A-Level but he had got into via clearing to Edinburgh University. He was lucky to get accepted by Liverpool University for a 4-year graduate Dentistry programme.

So I would recommend applying to Liverpool University.
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Bristol accepts experienced medics for Dent.
CouchPotato708
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by thegeek888)
A friend of mine applied for Glasgow, Kings College London, Queen Mary University of London and Liverpool University. He got rejected from all, based on not having above C's in Biology and Chemistry A-Level but he had got into via clearing to Edinburgh University. He was lucky to get accepted by Liverpool University for a 4-year graduate Dentistry programme.

So I would recommend applying to Liverpool University.
Damn he was very lucky. He must have done well in his 1st degree.
thegeek888
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by CouchPotato708)
Damn he was very lucky. He must have done well in his 1st degree.
Yes, he got 68% in some Infectious Diseases degree, which was almost a 1st class!!!
Last edited by thegeek888; 3 months ago
realtimme
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I can’t imagine there are many people with both medicine and dentistry degrees applying for max fax training surely it’s not that competitive?
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by realtimme)
I can’t imagine there are many people with both medicine and dentistry degrees applying for max fax training surely it’s not that competitive?
Here are the competition ratios for Oral and MaxilloFacial Surgery (OMFS) at ST1 level:

2021: 5.3 applicants to 1 place (53 applicants for 10 places nationally)
2020: 3.2 applicants to 1 place (32 applicants for 10 places nationally)
2019: 4.14 applicants to 1 place (29 applicants for 7 places nationally)
2018: 4.38 applicants to 1 place (35 applicants for 8 places nationally)
2017: 2.50 applicants to 1 place (20 applicants for 8 places nationally)
2016: 6.33 applicants to 1 place (19 applicants for 3 places nationally)

So actually, looking at the numbers it is pretty competitive!
Last edited by ecolier; 3 months ago
hungrysalamander
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by ecolier)
Here are the competition ratios for Oral and MaxilloFacial Surgery (OMFS) at ST1 level:

What happened in 2017?
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by hungrysalamander)
What happened in 2017?
Don't have a clue, but pre-COVID the competition for ST1 posts were lower across-the-board as doctors tend to go for a gap year after FY2.

It was getting worse before COVID hit:

realtimme
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by ecolier)

Wow I’m shocked must definitely be the longest training pathway in medicine - lots of people willing to just slice of 10 years of their life to university then another 10 to FP and Specialty training
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by realtimme)
Can confirm, it’s incredibly competitive. More so because of the small number of spaces available rather than people falling in their thousands to apply.

To answer OP’s question, you will need to look at every dental school’s website to see if they offer the 4-year graduate or 3-year fast tracked BDS for MBBS holders (which can be found on the GDC website).
If you do not have a BDS/ fail to secure a place, you cannot work as a dentist, which I would have thought was fairly obvious. Not sure how a medic would be able to carry out any dental procedures without the training, never mind the fact that you wouldn’t be registered with the GDC.
Last edited by Mesopotamian.; 3 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA Combined Science - Biology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (61)
34.66%
The paper was reasonable (70)
39.77%
Not feeling great about that exam... (28)
15.91%
It was TERRIBLE (17)
9.66%

Watched Threads