The Student Room Group

Is this plagiarism or am I overthinking it?

So there is a lab practical that is assessed by this online quiz, it's coursework btw. There are questions related to the practical and then there is a section where you have to write about your image that you produced in this practical. Ok so we had to write about it in scientific format (I've never done this before). On the quiz it had a pdf file saying "this demonstrates how you should write your report". And then it had an example for you to use as a guide. I basically used this but changed it a little to be relevant to mine.

Basically I'm just overthinking everything and I don't know if it counts as plagiarism because I copied it just changed my answers. I don't know whether I had to completely create my own report just using it as help to see the style? Idk if I'm overreacting but its kinda eating me up inside, I don't wanna fail or something.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Cloudiii
So there is a lab practical that is assessed by this online quiz, it's coursework btw. There are questions related to the practical and then there is a section where you have to write about your image that you produced in this practical. Ok so we had to write about it in scientific format (I've never done this before). On the quiz it had a pdf file saying "this demonstrates how you should write your report". And then it had an example for you to use as a guide. I basically used this but changed it a little to be relevant to mine.

Basically I'm just overthinking everything and I don't know if it counts as plagiarism because I copied it just changed my answers. I don't know whether I had to completely create my own report just using it as help to see the style? Idk if I'm overreacting but its kinda eating me up inside, I don't wanna fail or something.

Did you copy and paste? It would be plagiarism to my knowledge then. If you used it as a guide, then that should be ok. @Muttley79 is our resident teacher :smile:
Reply 2
I can see why you are worried, but I'd not treat it as plagiarism. The guide has been given with the expectation that you follow it.

I have worked and taught in several departments at several institutions where we have given guides of this sort - we have not expected anyone to reinvent the wheel, we'd certainly not cop them for plagiarism simply for following a guide that we provided.

Of course, the simplest way to deal with this would be to bang off an email to the relevant staff member and ask the question.
Original post by gjd800
I can see why you are worried, but I'd not treat it as plagiarism. The guide has been given with the expectation that you follow it.

I have worked and taught in several departments at several institutions where we have given guides of this sort - we have not expected anyone to reinvent the wheel, we'd certainly not cop them for plagiarism simply for following a guide that we provided.

Of course, the simplest way to deal with this would be to bang off an email to the relevant staff member and ask the question.

PRSOM

Quick Reply

Latest