am i late for sorting out second year accommodation

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
hi.
everyone seems to be talking about house viewings at the moment and going on about who they're living with next year. i haven't really made any friends at university as of yet and its stressing me out that everyone is going on about next years accommodation. do i really need to be looking into all of this now? I'm going through depression and other things in life at the moment and i feel like all this stress is too much for me?

advice please
normaw
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
Unfortunately yes - it is the time to be looking at it. At my son's uni, the majority of students were looking last term and it can cause an immense amount of stress if you are not sure who you want to live with. Speak to your uni's accommodation office to see what they offer for second and third years - some unis reserve some rooms in halls. If they don't do this, they should be able to point you in the right direction for private lets. You don't have to be in a group - some landlords rent out rooms in a shared property on a room-by-room basis. Make that call today - it will reduce the pressure on you if you can sort it quickly.
one_two_three
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
If you have not got a group of friends you want to live with then there isn't a rush unless you are wanting to live in uni accommodation as they usually have a deadline. Otherwise, there will be accommodation available until the start of term.
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Hi, most people do start looking for houses between November and January so now would be the time to start looking. It's okay to not know who you want to live with. There are a couple options, you could:
- try asking on your course group chat and Facebook groups if anyone needs someone to live with, there will likely be a few people on your course, and even more throughout the university and check the freshers site on Facebook for people needing someone to fill a spare room. You can meet with different people, and if you find a group you get on with then find a place with them.
- Speak with the accommodation team, and see what advice they give you.
- Stay on in halls, either the ones you are in now or a different one if you want to try something new. For this, speak to the accommodation team. Some accommodations also have a scheme where you stay on in halls as a mentor, so a group of people just moving in will be assigned to you and you give them advice etc and in exchange you can stay at halls for half the price.

This doesn't have to be stressful, take your time using the different options I outlined and see what happens I am sorry that you are struggling with depression, I would talk to your student wellbeing team and see what help they can offer. Also perhaps talk to your academic student advisor, they may be able to help regarding the stress of university/the course. I would also contact your GP, they can refer you to a team called IAPT that can offer different types of help according to your needs and the GP will give other advice as well according to your situation. There's also a site called The Big White Wall (https://togetherall.com/en-gb/big-white-wall/) which is anonymous and is available for all students to use. You can use it to talk about what you are struggling with and get advice and support from fellow students.

- Rosie
TheChainOfHarm
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
The absolute latest that I've seen someone still looking for accommodation was late February, and honestly I have no clue whether or not they were successful.

I don't blame them however, as one of my lecturers even mentioned that the past few years have been quite strange with issues regarding accommodation; our university was apparently very well known for always having room for students looking for halls/accommodation, but unfortunately with the recent (or not so recent) pandemic, a lot of surrounding landlords and letting agencies who would often rent out to students looking for accommodation have sold up their properties as the housing market has boomed. Which leads to less housing, meaning more demand, which means people will start looking for accommodation even sooner.

I have no clue whether or not this could be anything similar to what you're going through, so it's really a 50/50 whether or not you want to start looking now or leave it for later on. Though I would warn you that leaving it too late may mean you're left with little to no options.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (55)
18.77%
The paper was reasonable (109)
37.2%
Not feeling great about that exam... (86)
29.35%
It was TERRIBLE (43)
14.68%

Watched Threads