1234ROXY
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Could someone help me with the below maths question?
Aleksander Krol
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
umm.. there's no question below... :/
1234ROXY
Rep:
Here it is
My four children are called Fiona, Ben, George and Darwin. Their birthdays are on the 15th,35th,144th and 323rd days of the year respectively. Which two of my children have their birthday on the same day of the week?

A Fiona and Darwin
B Ben and George
C George and Darwin
D Darwin and Ben
mqb2766
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Aleksander Krol)
w...
Best to get the OP to post some working first, as per the guidelines.
1234ROXY
Rep:
I thought George and Darwin is the answer but not correct.
323-144 = 179 is not a multiple of 7.
Leap year or a non-leap year none of the options will always work.
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by 1234ROXY)
I thought George and Darwin is the answer but not correct.
323-144 = 179 is not a multiple of 7.
Leap year or a non-leap year none of the options will always work.
What about the other combinations?
1234ROXY
Rep:
Other combinations for
* Fiona and Darwin= 35-15= 20
* Ben and George = 144-35 = 109
* Darwin and Ben = 323-35 = 288
I do not know where to go from here.
1234ROXY
Rep:
No worries I know how to work out the answer now.
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by 1234ROXY)
No worries I know how to work out the answer now.
Sure, you made a typo mistake with the numbers. Arguably the neatest way to do it is to note the remainder for each person when divided by 7 and check which pair have the same remainder as this corresponds to the same day of the week, leap year or not. The correct answer corresponds to them both having remainder 1.

From a quick google, it looks like a bmat question and the forum guidelines ask people to post some form of attempt, when they post the question. Assuming it is bmat, you should be post gcse, so it should have been possible to make some form of attempt. Your reply in #5 is pretty much identical to the original response to your identical post on Jiskha
https://www.jiskha.com/questions/188...ben-george-and
Last edited by mqb2766; 3 months ago
HollyLeafUK
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
"twenty-two"
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (23)
18.7%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (13)
10.57%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (8)
6.5%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (21)
17.07%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (32)
26.02%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (26)
21.14%

Watched Threads