Can you teach if you have a mental health diagnosis?

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I want to become a primary school teacher and I have just been offered conditional offers for the two universities that I am looking to go to.

However, I have been struggling with my mental health for years now and something that has been worrying me and holding me back is- would I be able to teach if I am diagnosed with mental health issues e.g. depression or generalised anxiety disorder?
jayls
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
Yes, you can become a teacher with depression or anxiety.
Yasaminahh
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I want to become a primary school teacher and I have just been offered conditional offers for the two universities that I am looking to go to.

However, I have been struggling with my mental health for years now and something that has been worrying me and holding me back is- would I be able to teach if I am diagnosed with mental health issues e.g. depression or generalised anxiety disorder?
Yes, you'd be surprised how many teachers are suffering from mental health issues themselves - I have a few lecturers who have been open about their struggles and use it to empathise and build strong connections with any struggling students.

It is definitely possible, and even better, can be a wonderful attribute to your bond with students. Don't let yourself believe that it will hold you back from your goal, it may make the process harder to get there compared to others - but it will serve as a testament to your abilities.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I see no reason why not. They might be more hesitant if its a condition that puts others at risk but given half the population has one or both of those these days it shouldnt be a problem. Plus, arent they legally prohibited from discriminating on such things?
aliaa03
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
of course you can !! you might find that during your degree or teaching your condition gets better as well if it’s really affecting your ability to teach then that’s something to consider and evaluate when you get on the course and get work experience in course, but don’t give up now.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (62)
15.94%
The paper was reasonable (190)
48.84%
Not feeling great about that exam... (98)
25.19%
It was TERRIBLE (39)
10.03%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed