The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

What are formal dinners like?

Coming from a background where formal dinners are a very foreign thing to me, what are they actually like? Is there a snobby attitude around them or are they more of a casual gimmick?
Hey there @alfiepp0!

Formals are a pretty easy-going scheme which basically just means you get to dress up pretty and have dinner together with your college mates. Not snobby at all! Some colleges have gowned dinners, which gives a really cool feel honestly.

- Himieka (Official DU Rep)
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by alfiepp0
Coming from a background where formal dinners are a very foreign thing to me, what are they actually like? Is there a snobby attitude around them or are they more of a casual gimmick?

Really hard to give concrete answers here. Depends which college you at tbh. Imma keep it real, at the college im at aside from the gowns (which are kinda meh) its not any more snobby than the rest of the uni but it really depends on where you're sat (table wise) and what your snobby threshold is. Personally I'd say its a fun little gimmick.

At my formals they do give you a (slightly puke inducing) page of etiquette guidelines to follow (bow to the high table, dont turn your back on the high table), and there is a bunch of cutlery to confuse us working class kids, but its not a biggie and they dont seem too strict.
(edited 2 years ago)
yo I'm at one of the older and more traditional cambridge colleges and formal dinners are just a really fun occasion that everyone's friendship groups enjoy. The matriculation dinner is the most formal cos lots of fellows and the master will be there and you hardly know anyone, but after that they're just totally fun and not stiflingly formal or snobbish at all. It's a really cool opportunity to dress up, wear your gown and eat amazing food in a beautiful hall with your friends and the catering staff and academics at my college are so nice and don't enforce any of the bizarre old rules you might have heard about.
Reply 4
Not at Durham but it’s really not as ‘formal’ or daunting unless it’s for a special occasion. Just go with a group of friends that you are comfortable with and you’ll be fine.

Most colleges will also send an etiquettes doc. They are usually very detailed and cover topics such as what to wear and when to stand, all the way to topics like which spoon to use and which bread roll is urs. Don’t stress too much and just embrace the chance to dress up with friends and enjoy some affordable 3 course meals
Original post by Durham Students
Hey there @alfiepp0!

Formals are a pretty easy-going scheme which basically just means you get to dress up pretty and have dinner together with your college mates. Not snobby at all! Some colleges have gowned dinners, which gives a really cool feel honestly.

- Himieka (Official DU Rep)

Hey just wondering, are vegan options available at formals?
Original post by Anonymous
Hey just wondering, are vegan options available at formals?

Hiya

Yes definitely. All formals have non-veg, veg and vegan options available :wink:

-Himieka (Official DU Rep)

Quick Reply

Latest