The Student Room Group

Why was my ALevel target grade so low??

I’m a couple of months into Year 12, and i’ve just got my target grades that my teachers have set. I’m happy with all of them, except my geography where i’ve been predicted a D. I was wondering if anyone had any guesses where this would have come from as I got an 8 in my geography GCSE, and we haven’t done any tests yet in our ALevel course. The teacher also said they have no concerns about my work in class and homework, so the only thing I can think it might be is my attendance which is pretty bad due to medical reasons. I know if isn’t a big thing, but it kinda unsettled me as I’ve never got a D before, so if anyone has any clue as to how they decide people’s target grades, I’d appreciate it a lot :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
I would take target grades with a pinch of salt. I think school just use some sort of historical data; they verdict that students will get that grade.

The most important thing you can do is just make sure you work for and get the grade that you deserve. Make your own realistic targets and work towards it.
tysm, I think it was mainly how unexpected it was that shocked me, but you’ve really helped! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Martha__________
I’m a couple of months into Year 12, and i’ve just got my target grades that my teachers have set. I’m happy with all of them, except my geography where i’ve been predicted a D. I was wondering if anyone had any guesses where this would have come from as I got an 8 in my geography GCSE, and we haven’t done any tests yet in our ALevel course. The teacher also said they have no concerns about my work in class and homework, so the only thing I can think it might be is my attendance which is pretty bad due to medical reasons. I know if isn’t a big thing, but it kinda unsettled me as I’ve never got a D before, so if anyone has any clue as to how they decide people’s target grades, I’d appreciate it a lot :smile:

Your target grades are not the same as predicted grades. Predicted grades are the ones set by teachers based on your work, these are the ones that matter.

Target grades are just minimum targets (not sure how they're calculated). Basically, if a bunch of students get below these, then the teacher's probably doing a bad job, this is what they're there to check for. They have no bearing on how well you're actually doing.

Quick Reply

Latest