The Student Room Group

Do I need to take a Humanities subject for GCSEs to get into a good university?

I've already chosen my subjects but today my history teacher has confused me by saying that if I don't do a humanities subject(religious studies, history and geography) for GCSEs, I won't get into a Russel Group university(e.g Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial).
The compulsory subjects:
Maths
English Literature
English Reading
Triple Science

The GCSEs I have chosen are:
Economics
German
Music
Computer Science

Is what my history teacher said true, or did she say it to scare me into doing history?
The latter.
dont listen to her youll be fine
Reply 3
That is definitely not true, but you do have to do well in what you chose.
Absolutely not true.
Reply 5
No you're fine.

Most likely the reason they insist you take one is because of the "English Baccalaureate" - schools are ranked based on this. That refers to a pass in both Englishes, triple science, maths, geography or history and a foreign language. However this has 0 significance outside of school rankings.
Another vote for "no, that's nonsense". Do tell your teacher that the admissions staff at a RG uni says "hi" though :smile:
Original post by Anisa_M27
I've already chosen my subjects but today my history teacher has confused me by saying that if I don't do a humanities subject(religious studies, history and geography) for GCSEs, I won't get into a Russel Group university(e.g Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial).
The compulsory subjects:
Maths
English Literature
English Reading
Triple Science

Economics
German
Music
Computer Science

Is what my history teacher said true, or did she say it to scare me into doing history?

You are fine - the teacher is saying this for your school's benefit not yours. Ignore .. [I'm a teacher]
Original post by Sinnoh
No you're fine.

Most likely the reason they insist you take one is because of the "English Baccalaureate" - schools are ranked based on this. That refers to a pass in both Englishes, triple science, maths, geography or history and a foreign language. However this has 0 significance outside of school rankings.

It's not even a qualification - and does not benefit a student at all. Makes me cross when schools lie about it
Reply 9
The compulsory subjects:
Maths
English Literature
English Reading
Triple Science

Economics
German
Music
Computer Science

First off all what are you wanting to do in university? Is it humanity related? Second you don’t really need that subject just good grades in the compulsory classes as well as good grades in college to get into university depending on what you study
Reply 10
Original post by Muttley79
You are fine - the teacher is saying this for your school's benefit not yours. Ignore .. [I'm a teacher]

Oh ok thanks, how does it benefit my school if I take a humanities subject though?
Reply 11
Original post by Admit-One
Another vote for "no, that's nonsense". Do tell your teacher that the admissions staff at a RG uni says "hi" though :smile:

Lol thanks
Oh ok thanks, how does it benefit my school if I take a humanities subject though?

The numbrr of students taking the invented [in 2010 by Michael Gove] 'Ebacc' is measured as one of the DfE 'measures' - we take no notice and give students a free choice. [We have several Oxford offers this year again and expecting some Cambridge ones next week].

Also your History teacher wants a lot of students to choose their subject as their job depends on it!! No teaching group [or fewer than last year] means too many teachers.
Reply 13
Original post by AD_ADMIT
First off all what are you wanting to do in university? Is it humanity related? Second you don’t really need that subject just good grades in the compulsory classes as well as good grades in college to get into university depending on what you study

I'm probably going to do something in maths or physics, nothing humanities related.

Quick Reply

Latest