Why do people spam / troll forums?

Watch this thread
JVM2020
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I go on some forums, particularly some MMORPG forums and there are some people who are just spamming, flaming, getting banned and joining again and again to keep up their game.

Some make disturbing posts where nobody knows who they are. Some are impersonating a fictional character which can acquire them an instant ban but some can be recognised even by their I.P and getting flagged on StopForumSpam which prevents them accessing any forums.

It stumps me a bit why some people go on a forum, misbehave, get banned and then they keep coming back for more. What do they get out of it?
Food!!
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
because they have no life tbh
Other_Owl
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Boredom, attention seeking.
TriplexA
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by JVM2020)
I go on some forums, particularly some MMORPG forums and there are some people who are just spamming, flaming, getting banned and joining again and again to keep up their game.

Some make disturbing posts where nobody knows who they are. Some are impersonating a fictional character which can acquire them an instant ban but some can be recognised even by their I.P and getting flagged on StopForumSpam which prevents them accessing any forums.

It stumps me a bit why some people go on a forum, misbehave, get banned and then they keep coming back for more. What do they get out of it?
Hi there.

One word: ATTENTION

(Ironically those capitals may have got yours )
username5794123
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Extreme boredom.
JVM2020
Rep:
(Original post by TriplexA)
Hi there.

That I agree with yeah. But I was also assuming that some underlying issues make them join a forum where they have no interest in the focus but to mess about.

Some infamous names are on StopForumSpam.
username5794123
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Hi there.

You have my attention. What does that stand for?
TriplexA
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
That I agree with yeah. But I was also assuming that some underlying issues make them join a forum where they have no interest in the focus but to mess about.

Some infamous names are on StopForumSpam.
I suppose online it's much easier for people to say things that they wouldn't say in real life to someone's face due to anonymity and hiding behind a character.

In real life situations they wouldn't troll as they'd be openly labelled and known as being childish, rude or attention seeking whereas on here we can't really affect the trolls' lives other than inside the forum and online.
TriplexA
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by 0ptics)
You have my attention. What does that stand for?
Lol your college work does not though CLEARLY

Spoiler:
Show
It stands for me becoming a troll
Last edited by TriplexA; 3 months ago
username5794123
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Lol your college work does not though clearly

Put emphasis on “clearly” for totally necessary attention. Also, yeah, I’m working on it, slowly…
username155270
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I always assume it’s someone with some form of mental disorder. That’s why when I see the same people getting banned and making new accounts over and over again asking the same question, or asking ridiculous questions, it doesn’t bother me. I assume they just to know any better.
TriplexA
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Put emphasis on “clearly” for totally necessary attention. Also, yeah, I’m working on it, slowly…
Done

That's good - you'll build your way up eventually so try not to worry too much.

If you need any bio help I'll see what I can do.
Last edited by TriplexA; 3 months ago
username5794123
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Done

That's good - you'll build your way up eventually so try not to worry too much.

If you need any bio help I'll see what I can do.
Wait, I wasn’t being serious about that. But it looks amazing! :laugh:

Yeah, that’s true. Skills develop. Even if it doesn’t seem like it right now.

Thanks
ROTL94 2
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I think Synergy posted this or something similar a while back, long story short they're mentally unhinged.
https://theconversation.com/new-rese...mselves-145931
TriplexA
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Wait, I wasn’t being serious about that. But it looks amazing! :laugh:

Yeah, that’s true. Skills develop. Even if it doesn’t seem like it right now.

Thanks
Lol I thought you were being serious.

That's good. Look at us derailing threads again... Summer bird would be proud

Sorry JVM2020

Good luck with your work 0ptics.
JVM2020
Rep:
(Original post by xobeauty)
I always assume it’s someone with some form of mental disorder. That’s why when I see the same people getting banned and making new accounts over and over again asking the same question, or asking ridiculous questions, it doesn’t bother me. I assume they just to know any better.
Maybe someone is bipolar, that they troll because they can't help themselves.
username155270
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Maybe someone is bipolar, that they troll because they can't help themselves.
I thought at one point too.. that TSR has bots or something that automatically makes repetitive threads just to keep the forums and interactions alive.
JVM2020
Rep:
(Original post by xobeauty)
I thought at one point too.. that TSR has bots or something that automatically makes repetitive threads just to keep the forums and interactions alive.
TSR can look into StopForumSpam, available on Google. it detects the I P address and email address of offenders to prevent them coming back.
Last edited by JVM2020; 3 months ago
Cote1
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by ROTL94 2)
I think Synergy posted this or something similar a while back, long story short they're mentally unhinged.
https://theconversation.com/new-rese...mselves-145931
Thanks for that. It was interesting.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (18)
21.69%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (11)
13.25%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
4.82%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (14)
16.87%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (17)
20.48%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
22.89%

Watched Threads