Hopeless job search

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I feel really hopeless just emotionally. I’ve been so busy with existing job and other commitments that I can’t job seek properly. The jobs I match are such low pay (minimum wage) even when I get interviews I worry about having to try and live off that. They’re not manual or retail jobs either but cool ones.

Interviews ask for extra work like tasks etc. I’ve spent two days and even bunked off my actual work to get it done on time. I’ll be up tonight making the hours up. The hard work would be worth it if it was ok pay but I can’t even accept that I’d they offered it to me it’s not even living wage.

I feel exhausted and hopelsss and worthless. I work so hard I feel numb. My boss is impressed with me but I feel worthless still. No idea what’s wrong with me or what to do.
University of Strathclyde
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I feel really hopeless just emotionally. I’ve been so busy with existing job and other commitments that I can’t job seek properly. The jobs I match are such low pay (minimum wage) even when I get interviews I worry about having to try and live off that. They’re not manual or retail jobs either but cool ones.

Interviews ask for extra work like tasks etc. I’ve spent two days and even bunked off my actual work to get it done on time. I’ll be up tonight making the hours up. The hard work would be worth it if it was ok pay but I can’t even accept that I’d they offered it to me it’s not even living wage.

I feel exhausted and hopelsss and worthless. I work so hard I feel numb. My boss is impressed with me but I feel worthless still. No idea what’s wrong with me or what to do.
Hey Anon! I wanted to reach out to you as I've felt in a similar position in the past and I know how you feel. Job hunting is exhausting and so tough What sort of role are you doing at the moment, and what do you want to move on to do?

The first thing to say is that there's nothing wrong with you, and that the way you feel is really normal. You won't see it maybe as everyone only ever posts or talks about their 'best bits' (like when they get a new job or get promoted) and never the hard stuff that comes before that.

My best piece of advice is to focus on things that might make the process easier for yourself. Applying for jobs is repetitive and frustrating, so have paragraphs and bios that can be easily related to a few different roles/industries and can be amended to suit (e.g. "When I worked in x role this taught me more about y and I know this will be useful in my role at z company"). I found this personally helped me as I wasnt then re-writing my CV and cover letters constantly. Also, when you feel burnt out with it- stop and take a break. Do something you enjoy and boost your mood a little.

Another thing that I felt really helped me but took me a while to actually action was being proactive. Reach out to any contacts you have and ask if they've heard of any roles or if they could keep you in mind going forward. If you can, maybe ask your boss if you can change up your role slightly to improve your skillset... but also keep you from losing your mind where you are for the timebeing. Make sure to ask for feedback on any roles you've been offered but couldn't take, and give the feedback in turn about the salaries not being feasible to live on, they may have room to negotiate in some cases.

I know it's easy for me to say but I promise you'll get there:hugs: It's tough in the short term but eventually will pay off in the long term.

- Caitlin
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (65)
19.64%
The paper was reasonable (124)
37.46%
Not feeling great about that exam... (94)
28.4%
It was TERRIBLE (48)
14.5%

Watched Threads