People of colour under represented in sport?

Watch this thread
jonathanemptage
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I've noticed in some sports people of colour are under represented Lewis Hamilton has mentioned it multiple times in F1 and it was also mentioned on Ski Sunday last year.

Is it not just possible that people of colour are less interested in some sports for whatever reason be it culture or what ever or is there something more?

I've seen it in skiing none of us were racist in the slightest and we all welcomed everybody the same but when I worked at a dry slope we had less people of colour (now i think about it) and I just can't see why.
Crowley63
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
It has to do with money and access a sport like football and basketball have a large number of successful black players because it’s relatively cheap to get young kids into and to a point where they get picked up by things like academies. So for people living in place like London or 1st/2nd gen immigrants, it’s a good way to get kids active and social for less money.
Meanwhile, a sport like F1 requires an insane amount of money to get to (nowadays your family needs a lot of money) or a sport like skiing requires you to be able to frequently ski as a child so you need money and to ideally live near mountains like the alps.
Obviously there are poc competitors in these sports but to see more balance across all sport there needs to be better widening participation schemes in place.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by nana1282)
I don't completely disagree with your argument, but your choice of language can be seen as offensive. Instead of coloured which has negative connotations, people of colour is the better alternative. Also, the case of "over representation" in basketball, you are exclusively thinking of the NBA, which has predominatly black players because there are many programs where its going pro is accessible to all. In the UK for instance, basketball players are actually predominantly white. Especially in the US where people of colour are mainly struggling due to the areas they live in, its a way for them to escape that lifestyle. So over representation isn't the right term, its more like people of colour were given more of a chance to showcase their athletic ability and if all sports like F1 and skiing were more affordable, you'd most definitely see more representation than as of now.
In what way does it have 'negative' connotations, especially compared to 'people of colour' ? Thats ignoring that those are the same words merely rearranged.
No, im thinking of the game, not an American association..
Seeing as this is about proportional representation, i cant think of any other word to describe the proportions of certain ethnicities involved. Then again, it doesnt make much of a difference as anyone who wants to impose race quotas on sports is, by definition, a racist. The idea that there are too few or too many of a race in a sport is patently absurd in ones book. It is an example of where people should only be there based on talent, not to appease someone sat at home who thinks their 1940's tv set is skewed one way too much.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by nana1282)
As a person of colour, being described as"coloured" has been used against me and people ik in the past in an offensive way, I will not explicitly say but I just wanted to make you aware of your language, not to start an argument. Also, POC is a name that we came up with and weren't given during a time of oppression. definitely agree with the latter half however, sports and occupations in general should be determined by skill set and talent, not by the colour of one's skin.
I'm merely questioning how it can be considered 'offensive', not least as that is the term we have been told to use for years now. although, the bigger point is, whom exactly is claiming it is supposedly offensive? Especially as, as i said, its simply reordered the words in 'people of colour'. Plenty of people find it an innocuous phrase and if we're really going to start banning innocent phrases because one or two people object there arent many left..
Who is 'we'? Are you talking about black people or 'all coloured' people? I trust i dont have to list why a term dreamt up by black activists and slapped on people as disparate as Indians, Indonesians, Chinese and Maori etc. is offensive to many of them?

On that though, i am curious why anyone would approve of such a reductionist phrase that seeks to do nothing but lump everyone who isnt white into one grouping? That itself being an 'us and them' issue as well as erasing any distinctiveness within 'poc'..

Alas, that is how things are done these days it would seem. With sport a glaring example of how young activist sorts have sort to do away with the policy of 'colourblindness' and racialize everything with quotas and such like. Im not entirely certain how that is intended to further equality as opposed to irritate people/undermine meritocracy but still.. it simply seems counter productive to those who arent into the whole protest march shebang.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (5)
21.74%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (1)
4.35%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
17.39%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (2)
8.7%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (6)
26.09%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (5)
21.74%

Watched Threads