The Student Room Group

Applying to Durham after 14 day UCAS swap deadline?

After months of stressing over the fact that I’ve definitely applied to a few universities that I really don’t like, I’ve realised that I want to try to apply to Durham without UCAS. UCAS has a 14 day deadline which means that you can only change your university choices 14 days after applying. I’ve realised that I really don’t want to go to one of the universities I’ve applied for and now I desperately want to apply for Durham instead. I spoke to UCAS and they told me I can’t do that unless I apply directly, so I just want to know if anyone here has:

1. Ever applied both with UCAS and directly (to different universities),

2. Had this experience applying specifically to Durham,

Or 3. Knows how I could go about this without forfeiting at least 3 of my other offers as I really want to ensure I have backup options.

Thank you :smile:
Are you sure that UCAS advised that you could apply to Durham directly?
You cant apply to undergrad at Durham outside UCAS.
Universities contract with ucas forbids them from considering applicants directly if they have a ucas application. Direct applications are INSTEAD OF not AS WELL AS ucas applications.

You can talk to Durham about if there’s a possibility that your chosen course will be available in ucas extra in February.
Original post by ageshallnot
Are you sure that UCAS advised that you could apply to Durham directly?

Yeah, I spoke to them over the phone and was advised to enquire about a direct application
Original post by jeonsugarhigh
Yeah, I spoke to them over the phone and was advised to enquire about a direct application

Hmm... The other two people who have contributed to this thread both work in university admissions and have contradicted that opinion.
Original post by PQ
Universities contract with ucas forbids them from considering applicants directly if they have a ucas application. Direct applications are INSTEAD OF not AS WELL AS ucas applications.

You can talk to Durham about if there’s a possibility that your chosen course will be available in ucas extra in February.

That makes a lot of sense so I have no idea why I was advised to directly apply 💔 I’m just worried that my other university offers aren’t that ‘impressive’ or whatever and that maybe their atmospheres aren’t entirely suited to me.
Original post by McGinger
You cant apply to undergrad at Durham outside UCAS.

Thanks for letting me know, I’m super confused that UCAS suggested that to me considering it’s not an option but I’ll survive 🙄
Original post by ageshallnot
Hmm... The other two people who have contributed to this thread both work in university admissions and have contradicted that opinion.

Yeah I’m aware & after talking to Durham myself I know that both of them are right. This isn’t really a question of whether or not UCAS told me that a direct application to Durham was possible, because they definitely did tell me that. I’m more concerned about the fact that the man I spoke to from UCAS gave me incorrect information.
Original post by jeonsugarhigh
the man I spoke to from UCAS gave me incorrect information.

I suggest you phone Durham Admissions on Monday - they will be able to give you thhe correct information.
Original post by McGinger
I suggest you phone Durham Admissions on Monday - they will be able to give you thhe correct information.

Yeah I actually opened an enquiry with them online & they responded and basically advised that I either try for clearing or reapply next year. I just really don’t want to take a gap year & I wouldn’t want to spend a year at a university & then leave after settling in. Thanks for your help by the way!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending