The Student Room Group

Do I have valid reason to feel like this? Should boys have girl best friends?

So my boyfriend is friends with a girl who he used to like for years. Me and my boyfriend have been together for a year now. When we first got together one of his friends said to me that I would never compare to her and to this day his friends still say to me how in love he was with her to me. He also always used to talk about her and praised her and we went through a stage where he would just keep talking about her and it made me feel really ****. There has also been a time Ives been sitting next to him and he's facetime her to come to a party and he said to her in front of me it was boring and would be better if she was there. She is the main cause of arguments. I am a very insecure person so I think that adds to it. The first time I met her she was very rude to me and since then she has always been rude to not just me but my friends too when we see each other. One of my boyfriends friends also told me she doesn't like it when her friends get girlfriends along with some other girls in the group. I sometimes feel uncomfortable with my boyfriend around her. I fully trust him and I have tried to get over the feeling of uncomfortableness and be nice to her to see if she will be nice back but she never is. I found out today that he didn't just like her but they had a little something and she liked him too. I was always told he had just liked her and nothing else. He also told her mum how in love with her he was. I also found some messages when we was on his phone making jokes when we was together asking to go hotel and things. I feel if she was nicer to me it might not be much of a problem There has been one occasion where she has been nice and we was drunk. Am I just being insecure with this uncomfortable feeling? Do I have valid reasons to feel the way I feel? Do you think my boyfriend should still speak to her? Should boys have girl best friends if they have a girlfriend.
Reply 1
i have many female besties yet i share no attraction towards them its practically just like having a male best friend but they are female i guess lol, although your boyfriend does sound like a bit of a **** ngl.
Reply 2
Original post by sukukaja
i have many female besties yet i share no attraction towards them its practically just like having a male best friend but they are female i guess lol, although your boyfriend does sound like a bit of a **** ngl.

The girl sounds like one too
Jealous seemingly (Not OP the girl bestfriend)
my boy best friend had a girlfriend who disliked me because she thought that he liked me. i wasn't even flirting with him or anything, I would just talk to him on a daily basis. maybe it's a similar situation??
Reply 4
Original post by sukukaja
i have many female besties yet i share no attraction towards them its practically just like having a male best friend but they are female i guess lol, although your boyfriend does sound like a bit of a ****

Yeah I used to have a lot of boy best friends growing up but after second year of sixth form we all kind of lost contact. I am just unsure whether I'm overreacting or I genuinely have valid reasons. My ideal world would him not talk to her but I would never make him do that as I am not controlling and never want to be so I just try to suck it up. I have tried to not get upset or annoyed by it and on Christmas Eve we was all together I tried to be nice but she was just rude unlike all her other friends who are also friends with my boyfriend, they all welcomed me and was very nice to me.
Reply 5
The thing is I know that he doesn't like her anymore but I'm not sure how to put how I feel. When my old boy best friends have had girlfriends I've always gone out my way to be nice and support them so they don't have to be wary of me. I just don't know whether I'm overreacting or I have genuine valid reasons to feel like this.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
my boy best friend had a girlfriend who disliked me because she thought that he liked me. i wasn't even flirting with him or anything, I would just talk to him on a daily basis. maybe it's a similar situation??

The thing is I know that he doesn't like her anymore but I'm not sure how to put how I feel. When my old boy best friends have had girlfriends I've always gone out my way to be nice and support them so they don't have to be wary of me. I just don't know whether I'm overreacting or I have genuine valid reasons to feel like this. I am insecure due to very bad past relationships and have had problems with girl best friends before but I do always try to see the positive side.
Original post by Anonymous
So my boyfriend is friends with a girl who he used to like for years. Me and my boyfriend have been together for a year now. When we first got together one of his friends said to me that I would never compare to her and to this day his friends still say to me how in love he was with her to me. He also always used to talk about her and praised her and we went through a stage where he would just keep talking about her and it made me feel really ****. There has also been a time Ives been sitting next to him and he's facetime her to come to a party and he said to her in front of me it was boring and would be better if she was there. She is the main cause of arguments. I am a very insecure person so I think that adds to it. The first time I met her she was very rude to me and since then she has always been rude to not just me but my friends too when we see each other. One of my boyfriends friends also told me she doesn't like it when her friends get girlfriends along with some other girls in the group. I sometimes feel uncomfortable with my boyfriend around her. I fully trust him and I have tried to get over the feeling of uncomfortableness and be nice to her to see if she will be nice back but she never is. I found out today that he didn't just like her but they had a little something and she liked him too. I was always told he had just liked her and nothing else. He also told her mum how in love with her he was. I also found some messages when we was on his phone making jokes when we was together asking to go hotel and things. I feel if she was nicer to me it might not be much of a problem There has been one occasion where she has been nice and we was drunk. Am I just being insecure with this uncomfortable feeling? Do I have valid reasons to feel the way I feel? Do you think my boyfriend should still speak to her? Should boys have girl best friends if they have a girlfriend.

Honestly I see this as a red flag 🚩 and I don’t blame you for feeling insecure a.) trust your gut instincts over your heart. I was most recently in a relationship with my ex though we broke up after she used me financially and my wealth, gold digged me even though I gave her luxurious valuables as a gesture to show how much she meant to me and she was my princess and she cheated on me she had boys on her socials she would open their messages, reply to them and I should have trusted my gut instinct over my heart. As your the girlfriend you do have a right to express and say how you feel and when your in discomfort he should be at your aid to help out. b.) he is breaking two key things needed in a relationship as per what you said on the thread which is commitment and loyalty like in my scenario I promised my ex girlfriend I would never chat or make contact with another girl physically and verbally and I did neither and if he loved you this much he would never have anything in common to do with this unknown girl. Whilst my ex girlfriend said the same although she spoke to boys, posed for pictures and videos for them. Me personally being a boy myself I see my woman and respect within a relationship alongside care, affection, love and happiness with speaking the truth and honesty a priority so I could never be friends with a girl whilst committed to a relationship my sole focus is my girl and herself only. Ensuring that she feels loved and treated well with full of happiness and care. I don’t see this as jealousy but a sign of cheating 🚩.:s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending