Blue_Bunny
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I'm not in college yet but I want ask what Biomedicine is like and why I should/shouldn't take it and what I would need to enjoy and excel at it.
Blue_Bunny
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
anyone?
Googley_eyes
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Blue_Bunny)
I'm not in college yet but I want ask what Biomedicine is like and why I should/shouldn't take it and what I would need to enjoy and excel at it.
Only take it if you want to do GEM, it’s so geared towards GEM that it’s insufferable (mainly due to the content geared towards the medical school and the med school rejects egos) if you want to do science research.
TriplexA
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Googley_eyes)
Only take it if you want to do GEM, it’s so geared towards GEM that it’s insufferable (mainly due to the content geared towards the medical school and the med school rejects egos) if you want to do science research.
Graduate entry medicine is significantly more competitive than undergraduate medicine. Never do a degree with the sole aim of going into medicine as it's riskier, more expensive and you're highly likely to be rejected multiple times so be prepared to accept you won't get in.
Last edited by TriplexA; 3 months ago
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
And of course, the usual advice is always: never ever do a degree with the sole aim for graduate entry medicine because it'll take longer, cost more and (most importantly) will be much, much more competitive!

(Original post by TriplexA)
I don't advise this at all. Graduate entry medicine is significantly more competitive than undergraduate medicine. Never do a degree with the sole aim of going into medicine as it's riskier, more expensive and you're highly likely to be rejected multiple times so be prepared to accept you won't get in.
Beat me to it! :lol:
Last edited by ecolier; 3 months ago
TriplexA
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by ecolier)
And of course, the usual advice is always: never ever do a degree with the sole aim for graduate entry medicine because it'll take longer, cost more and (most importantly) will be much, much more competitive!

I thought I'd save you the job Literally thought of your responses I've seen multiple times on here.

The OP has validation now so hopefully will follow the advice.
Blue_Bunny
Rep:

I wasn't thinking about doing it to do GEM, you've mentioned before I shouldn't so definitely not doing it for that. I want to do it because the idea of research appeals to me and I wanted to have a career where I could research about different aspects of biology and conducts studies that could help within the medical field
ecolier
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I wasn't thinking about doing it to do GEM, you've mentioned before I shouldn't so definitely not doing it for that. I want to do it because the idea of research appeals to me and I wanted to have a career where I could research about different aspects of biology and conducts studies that could help within the medical field
Good to know - it's just your thread title "biomedicine or medicine"!

My advice has always been even if you have an inkling of wanting to do medicine, don't do another degree.
Blue_Bunny
Rep:
Ahh sorry I didn't mean to confuse you, I just didn't know what to title it to get my point across but clearly I failed at doing that. But may I ask, why should someone do it even if they only have an 'inkling' of desire for it?
Googley_eyes
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by TriplexA)
Graduate entry medicine is significantly more competitive than undergraduate medicine. Never do a degree with the sole aim of going into medicine as it's riskier, more expensive and you're highly likely to be rejected multiple times so be prepared to accept you won't get in.
I didn’t tell them to do GEM, I just said that’s the only reason why. Some people do chose GEM wanting to do a different undergrad but that is the minority. All I told them was it’s the course for GEM applicants.
TriplexA
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I didn’t tell them to do GEM, I just said that’s the only reason why. Some people do chose GEM wanting to do a different undergrad but that is the minority. All I told them was it’s the course for GEM applicants.
Hi there

Yes, upon re-reading your message it didn't seem to be your intention however it was vague enough to misunderstand you as recommending doing biomedicine to do GEM. It's all ok though so don't worry about it now.

Sorry for the misunderstanding
Best wishes.
ecolier
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Ahh sorry I didn't mean to confuse you, I just didn't know what to title it to get my point across but clearly I failed at doing that. But may I ask, why should someone do it even if they only have an 'inkling' of desire for it?
No I wasn't quite clear, my point is - don't do another degree even if they have an inkling to do medicine.

Take a gap year to evaluate your options first - make sure it is (or not) medicine you want to do before embarking on another degree. Assume that you won't be successful for GEM (because statistically you won't) if you ended up doing another degree.
Blue_Bunny
Rep:
No I wasn't quite clear, my point is - don't do another degree even if they have an inkling to do medicine.

Take a gap year to evaluate your options first - make sure it is (or not) medicine you want to do before embarking on another degree. Assume that you won't be successful for GEM (because statistically you won't) if you ended up doing another degree.
Would a gap year affect my chances of being accepted for medicine? Like would a Uni see it as something undesirable to have in a student because I've heard people taking them for a 'rest' but I'm assuming I'd use this gap year to get work experience and getting a feel for what the courses would be like
ecolier
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Would a gap year affect my chances of being accepted for medicine? Like would a Uni see it as something undesirable to have in a student because I've heard people taking them for a 'rest' but I'm assuming I'd use this gap year to get work experience and getting a feel for what the courses would be like
Not at all, all med schools welcome a productive gap year.
Blue_Bunny
Rep:
Not at all, all med schools welcome a productive gap year.
I asked my parents and they said gap years are only for people who didn't meet the required grades and they wouldn't allow me to do it because I was 'too smart' for that and what would people say etc. so if it isn't undesirable by Uni's, why is there stigma around it? idk if there is any data on this, but what proportion of high achieving students take a gap year anyway, especially when obtaining places at a Russel Uni?
ecolier
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I asked my parents and they said gap years are only for people who didn't meet the required grades and they wouldn't allow me to do it because I was 'too smart' for that and what would people say etc. so if it isn't undesirable by Uni's, why is there stigma around it? idk if there is any data on this, but what proportion of high achieving students take a gap year anyway, especially when obtaining places at a Russel Uni?
Well, with all due respect, are your parents involved in med admissions?

Stigma is just that, stigma. You can't be serious in suggesting that stigma has to be justified? There are plenty, plenty of medicine misconceptions - e.g. you must do A-Level Chemistry, or doing biomed is absolutely fine as a backup for medicine, or that no med school accept A-Level retakes. They are usually outdated (but probably partially true) observations, many of which are now inaccurate.

Oh and another misconception that you hold which needs to be corrected: rankings, prestige and Russell Group makes absolutely no difference for UK clinical medicine. Apply and choose med schools according to your stats, not because of the reputation of a Uni.

And no, I have no stats but if you read through https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=7104159 you will see plenty of gap year applicants thanking us for making them do a gap year instead of going into a random degree - especially the latest few posts.

There is a megathread for medicine 2023 gap year applicants - join them here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=7138571
Blue_Bunny
Rep:
I wasn't asking for the stigma to be justified but rather where the idea came from but i suppose "There are plenty, plenty of medicine misconceptions - e.g. you must do A-Level Chemistry, or doing biomed is absolutely fine as a backup for medicine, or that no med school accept A-Level retakes. They are usually outdated (but probably partially true) observations, many of which are now inaccurate" answers that. ik the med school rankings won't matter when you're in a clinic but wouldn't a Uni be competitive due to the high grades achieved and how well the students do after the course?
Last edited by Blue_Bunny; 3 months ago
ecolier
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
...ik the med school rankings won't matter when you're in a clinic but wouldn't a Uni be competitive due to the high grades achieved and how well the students do after the course?
No, where you graduate is deliberately made blind for specialty training and selection purposes.

And, only because graduates from X uni have a higher pass rate at post-grad exams doesn't mean it's because the med school teaches them better. It's probably biased and confounding from self-selection.

All UK med schools have to meet strigent GMC inspection and requirements - for all intents and purposes, all UK issued med degrees are equal.

Indeed, studying at Oxbridge etc. could actually be a disadvantage because for FY1 applications you are ranked against other students in your year. You may well find it harder to come top of the year, or win prizes / gain honours at Oxbridge (which will be useful for post-grad purposes).
Blue_Bunny
Rep:
No, where you graduate is deliberately made blind for specialty training and selection purposes.

And, only because graduates from X uni have a higher pass rate at post-grad exams doesn't mean it's because the med school teaches them better. It's probably biased and confounding from self-selection.

All UK med schools have to meet strigent GMC inspection and requirements - for all intents and purposes, all UK issued med degrees are equal.

Indeed, studying at Oxbridge etc. could actually be a disadvantage because for FY1 applications you are ranked against other students in your year. You may well find it harder to come top of the year, or win prizes / gain honours at Oxbridge (which will be useful for post-grad purposes).
Oh ok then. Well, I guess I'll just apply to medicine, a shame I won't be able to do some of my own scientific research as well because ik being a doctor in any speciality would be hectic
ecolier
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Oh ok then. Well, I guess I'll just apply to medicine, a shame I won't be able to do some of my own scientific research as well because ik being a doctor in any speciality would be hectic
Not necessarily, there are less intense medical specialties.

Plus of course, you can always take an extra year to intercalate and gain an additional degree. I would say it's a pretty great deal to spend 6 years to have both an MBBS and a BSc (or BA)!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (138)
43.67%
Not yet, but I will soon (54)
17.09%
No (124)
39.24%

Watched Threads