Typing in exams

Watch this thread
CuriousO
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Is it easy to get permission to use a computer to type your A-Level exams? What must one do? A few teachers say my handwriting can sometimes become illegible during exam situations.
jayls
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
They’re usually only allowed if you have a medical condition that makes writing hard or impossible.
CuriousO
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by jayls)
They’re usually only allowed if you have a medical condition that makes writing hard or impossible.
Do you know if it's up to the school or the exam board?
succubus666
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
some people in my school type because their handwriting is really bad i dont think its only for medical reasons
jayls
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by succubus666)
some people in my school type because their handwriting is really bad i dont think its only for medical reasons
Maybe it was just my school that was strict about that then. Mine definitely didn’t let people with bad handwriting type.
succubus666
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by jayls)
Maybe it was just my school that was strict about that then. Mine definitely didn’t let people with bad handwriting type.
perhaps, but if your handwriting is genuinely illegible then how will examiners read it? unfair to be honest, your school should change that
Last edited by succubus666; 3 months ago
Sabertooth
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
perhaps, but if your handwriting is genuinely illegible then how will examiners read it? unfair to be honest, your school should change that
Too bad.

It is the students' responsibility to make their handwriting legible. Bar some sort of disability, it's their own fault.
succubus666
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Sabertooth)
Too bad.

It is the students' responsibility to make their handwriting legible. Bar some sort of disability, it's their own fault.
sounds ignorant, it is hard for some people to improve their handwriting it may not be as easy as you think it is. my handwriting is pretty bad but people are still able to read it and even i tried to make it neat but i cant. sometimes people cant help it
EOData
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
If you habitually use a word processor for extended writing then you can use one in exams. The centre does not need to get permission from the exam board. No evidence of a disability is needed.
Last edited by EOData; 3 months ago
Sabertooth
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
sounds ignorant, it is hard for some people to improve their handwriting it may not be as easy as you think it is. my handwriting is pretty bad but people are still able to read it and even i tried to make it neat but i cant. sometimes people cant help it
Bull****.
succubus666
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Bull****.
just because you may not have that problem its easy for you to say so, dont comment on what other people cant help, thats bull****
Sabertooth
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
just because you may not have that problem its easy for you to say so, dont comment on what other people cant help, thats bull****
Typing is faster and it is unfair to give that advantage to people who are too lazy to work on their handwriting.
succubus666
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Typing is faster and it is unfair to give that advantage to people who are too lazy to work on their handwriting.
LOL no not really, there are people who type in my class and i literally finish before them, there are fast writers too, isnt that unfair?
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
If you've got through at least 2 schools without learning to write legibly.. well, without genuine physical or development problems that should have been ID'd far earlier... it sure does sound a lot like BS laziness.
Sabertooth
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
LOL no not really, there are people who type in my class and i literally finish before them, there are fast writers too, isnt that unfair?
But you just said you have problems making your fast writing legible.
succubus666
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
But you just said you have problems making your fast writing legible.
that was before when i tried to improve my handwriting but i couldnt so i write how i normally do but my handwriting isnt terrible it is still legible to my teachers which is the important thing but to my friends i dont really care as much
Sabertooth
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
that was before when i tried to improve my handwriting but i couldnt so i write how i normally do but my handwriting isnt terrible it is still legible to my teachers which is the important thing but to my friends i dont really care as much
But you said some people can't help it. Yet now you're saying you can write legibly when necessary but not if it's just to a friend. That shows a degree of control over legibility. :wizard:
succubus666
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
But you said some people can't help it. Yet now you're saying you can write legibly when necessary but not if it's just to a friend. That shows a degree of control over legibility. :wizard:
no you dont understand what im saying. my handwriting is legible to SOME people, of course everyone perceives it differently for example my teachers have no issue reading it whilst if i show it to someone else they may struggle. its not "when necessary" its simply how people view and comprehend what i write.
The RAR
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Then I propose everyone should be able to type
Sabertooth
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
no you dont understand what im saying. my handwriting is legible to SOME people, of course everyone perceives it differently for example my teachers have no issue reading it whilst if i show it to someone else they may struggle. its not "when necessary" its simply how people view and comprehend what i write.
The common denominator here is you. It's your responsibility.

(Original post by The RAR)
Then I propose everyone should be able to type
I would actually be ok with that
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (129)
42.57%
Not yet, but I will soon (54)
17.82%
No (120)
39.6%

Watched Threads