Edexcel Year 2 Chapter 6 exercise 6E question 6C

Watch this thread
doozy123
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
From what I can't understand why solutionbanks says that tan k stays the same when k changes to -pi/2

If you can prove why tan stays positive please can you explain

thanks in advanced
mqb2766
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
In the 4th quadrant, tan would be negative. But as x is negative, the ans (expression for tan() in b) is the same.
Last edited by mqb2766; 3 months ago
doozy123
Rep:
(Original post by mqb2766)
In the 4th quadrant, tan would be negative. But as x is negative, the ans (expression for tan() in b) is the same.
taking that logic, you are saying that as k is between -pi/2 and 0 that x is negative - that is right. but for example cos 30 =cos-30 but tan 30!=tan-30
also if you sub in -x into the expression in part b you get negative of that expression
Attached files
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by doozy123)
taking that logic, you are saying that as k is between -pi/2 and 0 that x is negative - that is right. but for example cos 30 =cos-30 but tan 30!=tan-30
also if you sub in -x into the expression in part b you get negative of that expression
The key thing is that the expressions for cos and tan, defined in terms of sin in the first quadrant, also apply in the fourth quadrant. You can write
cos(k) = sqrt(1-sin^2(k))
tan(k) = sin(k)/sqrt(1-sin^2(k))
and its valid in both the first and fourth quadrant. Here, they have simply replaced sin() with x.

I think thats what youre saying in the attachment by considering -x? If the original x is positive (first quadrant), then -x would refer to the value of sin in the fourth quadrant and its all good.
doozy123
Rep:

The key thing is that the expressions for cos and tan, defined in terms of sin in the first quadrant, also apply in the fourth quadrant. You can write
and its valid in both the first and fourth quadrant. Here, they have simply replaced sin() with x.

I think thats what youre saying in the attachment by considering -x? If the original x is positive (first quadrant), then -x would refer to the value of sin in the fourth quadrant and its all good.
in essence that is the correct working for cos(k) and tan(k) when 0<k<pi/2. however tan(k) is, like you said, sin/cos but sin in the 4th quadrant is negative (only cos is positive in the 4th quadrant), cos is the same

so doesnt that mean that tan(k) is negative when -pi/2<k<0

thanks for your reply
Attached files
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 3 months ago

in essence that is the correct working for cos(k) and tan(k) when 0<k<pi/2. however tan(k) is, like you said, sin/cos but sin in the 4th quadrant is negative (only cos is positive in the 4th quadrant), cos is the same

thanks for your reply
the
sin(k) = x
is valid here in both the 1st and 4th quadrants, so it can be -1 to 1. You seem to be insisting you write -x when its in the fourth quadrant and this is the only problem I can see with your attachment. The expressions
cos(k) = sqrt(1-sin^2(k)) = sqrt(1-x^2)
tan(k) = sin(k)/sqrt(1-sin^2(k)) = x/sqrt(1-x^2)
are valid in both the 1st and 4th quadrant and x = sin(k) so varies -1 .. 1.

The expressions are not valid in the other two quadrants as cos() becomes negative and you'd have to consider the negated root for it so
cos(k) = -sqrt(1-x^2)
and similar for tan().
doozy123
Rep:

thanks for your reply

the
sin(k) = x
is valid here in both the 1st and 4th quadrants, so it can be -1 to 1. You seem to be insisting you write -x when its in the fourth quadrant and this is the only problem I can see with your attachment. The expressions

The expressions are not valid in the other two quadrants as cos() becomes negative and you'd have to consider the negated root for it so
cos(k) = -sqrt(1-x^2)
and similar for tan().
perhaps i am phrasing it wrong with -x. when the range of k is restricted to -pi/2<k<0 that means x has to be negative, therefore -1<x<0.
that is why i am saying sin(k)=-(x) as as k is within this interval it is negative whether you look at the graphs or cast diagrams, and like we've agreed cos(k) stays the same.

if that isnt prove enough, we are explicitly told the range of k -pi/2<k<0
when you look at the graphs of sin cos and tan
sin is negative between that domain
cos is positive for that domain
tan is negative for that domain
Attached files
doozy123
Rep:

thanks for your reply

the
sin(k) = x

cos(k) = -sqrt(1-x^2)
and similar for tan().
perhaps i am phrasing it wrong with -x. when the range of k is restricted to -pi/2<k<0 that means x has to be negative, therefore -1<x<0.
that is why i am saying sin(k)=-(x) as as k is within this interval it is negative whether you look at the graphs or cast diagrams, and like we've agreed cos(k) stays the same.

if that isnt proof enough, we are explicitly told the range of k -pi/2<k<0
Attached files
Last edited by doozy123; 3 months ago
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 3 months ago

The only thing I disagree with is the bold and I think you should write
sin(k) = x
not -x. Obviously the x in the previous line is negative in the fourth quadrant and positive in the first quadrant. I don't understand why you keep writing the negative sign in front of it. Obviously sin() is odd, so
sin(-k) = -sin(k)
but here we're taking a different k in quadrant, not expressing it terms of the original k which lay in quadrant 1.

To put numbers in, Id have something like k=-30 (fourth quadrant).
sin(k) = x = -1/2
cos(k) = sqrt(3)/2
tan(k) = -1/2 / sqrt(3)/2 = -1/sqrt(3)
Because x has a negative value, its all consistent in the fourth quadrant, just as if k=30 and therefore x=1/2.
doozy123
Rep:

thanks for your reply

the
sin(k) = x

cos(k) = -sqrt(1-x^2)
and similar for tan().

The only thing I disagree with is the bold and I think you should write
sin(k) = x
not -x. Obviously the x in the previous line is negative in the fourth quadrant and positive in the first quadrant. I don't understand why you keep writing the negative sign in front of it. Obviously sin() is odd, so
sin(-k) = -sin(k)
but here we're taking a different k in quadrant, not expressing it terms of the original k which lay in quadrant 1.

To put numbers in, Id have something like k=-30 (fourth quadrant).
sin(k) = x = -1/2
cos(k) = sqrt(3)/2
tan(k) = -1/2 / sqrt(3)/2 = -1/sqrt(3)
Because x has a negative value, its all consistent in the fourth quadrant, just as if k=30 and therefore x=1/2.
ok I see where you are coming from with the -x. to be clear x is the same value but i am putting -x to indicate that it is as you are saying, x has a negative value since you know k=arcsinx. i guess you could say i am putting the negative infront of the x to treat x the value itself as positive with a negative infront to help with visualisation in terms of triangles and the graphs.

regardless of the -x/x using thoses examples you put, notice how tan is negative and cos is positive which is what I am trying to say at the start of this thread.

when you use a negative value of k: sin is negative, cos +ve, tan -ve, - this is what we have now both established with your example of -30 so how can tan(k) stay the same
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
ok I see where you are coming from with the -x. to be clear x is the same value but i am putting -x to indicate that it is as you are saying, x has a negative value since you know k=arcsinx. i guess you could say i am putting the negative infront of the x to treat x the value itself as positive with a negative infront to help with visualisation in terms of triangles and the graphs.

regardless of the -x/x using thoses examples you put, notice how tan is negative and cos is positive which is what I am trying to say at the start of this thread.

when you use a negative value of k: sin is negative, cos +ve, tan -ve, - this is what we have now both established with your example of -30 so how can tan(k) stay the same
Noone has disagreed about tan being negative in quadrant 4. It is (and cos is positive in both quadrants). I noted as such in every reply. The only issue I had was your use of -x which changed the expression. The expression is the same in quadrants 1 and 4, as per the model solution, but the value of x obviously changes sign because sin changes sign in quadrants 1 and 4.

There are only so many times I can say the same thing. If you disagree with the expressions in the model solution also applying in quadrant 4, create an example like in #9, work it through and post your working/confusion.
doozy123
Rep:
Noone has disagreed about tan being negative in quadrant 4. It is (and cos is positive in both quadrants). I noted as such in every reply. The only issue I had was your use of -x which changed the expression. The expression is the same in quadrants 1 and 4, as per the model solution, but the value of x obviously changes sign because sin changes sign in quadrants 1 and 4.

There are only so many times I can say the same thing. If you disagree with the expressions in the model solution also applying in quadrant 4, create an example like in #9, work it through and post your working/confusion.
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  140.7 KB
I’ve worked through an example and I see it now
X holds a negative value and when you use an a example tan(k) is still negative which is why it doesn’t change

Thanks for your help - took a bit of understanding of what you were trying to say about the -x

Cheers
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  140.7 KB
I’ve worked through an example and I see it now
X holds a negative value and when you use an a example tan(k) is still negative which is why it doesn’t change

Thanks for your help - took a bit of understanding of what you were trying to say about the -x

Cheers
Glad the sign problem is sorted. Im not sure whether I should mention the cos(-pi/6) expression
sqrt(1 - 1/4) = sqrt(3)/2
not
sqrt(1 - (pi/6)^2)
.... Obviously the values are similar because sin(x) ~ x for small x, but ....
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (18)
22.5%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (10)
12.5%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
5%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (12)
15%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (17)
21.25%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
23.75%

Watched Threads