RAF Apprenticeship start

Watch this thread
HondaHooligan22
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi,
I was wandering if it is possible for me to choose to start Phase 1 training in the start of 2023 (just after Christmas) and still go through the apprenticeship route in the RAF (I want to be a mechanical Aircraft technician) instead of starting in September of this year? I ask as I would like to complete my current college engineering course and gain its qualification and then take the rest of the year off to enjoy my 18th and complete a sort of half gap year? I want to avoid another full year of my college if possible and join up at the start of next year but if it isn't possible and i can only gain the apprenticeship is if i start in September then so be it and i'll have to cancel the flights to Majorca

Thanks in advance
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
The date that you are given for Phase 1 training is arranged to fit in with Phase 2, so you aren't waiting around for months to become productive, especially given there are less courses for trade training. They won't let you wait as long as 4 months between completing selection and starting Halton, especially if it's just to chill out. If you haven't already started your application, you need to look carefully at the timing.

Also, do you understand there isn't an 'apprenticeship route' into the RAF? There is only way to join, which is through the normal selection process. The apprenticeship is awarded through successful completion of your trade training, and a portfolio once you are in your first job and required to complete certain tasks. It's not dependent on start date.
RAF__Adam
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Hi

Have you already been given a start date of Sept this year? If so, that's your start date. As Surnia has advised, everything is worked back from your potential phase two training date. We're offering you a job and require you to be trained on X date in the future to fulfill manning requirements in service. If you don't want to do that your application will be closed down.
You can ask your AFCO whether you can move your date, but the reason is to have half a year of a holiday doesn't look great when we're looking for dedication and commitment.
The alternative is you withdraw your application and re-apply when you're ready to start service.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA Combined Science - Biology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (30)
35.71%
The paper was reasonable (31)
36.9%
Not feeling great about that exam... (15)
17.86%
It was TERRIBLE (8)
9.52%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed