Will I be fine for AS English Literature?

Watch this thread
Ashmit
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi there,

I recently received my IGCSE results and got a C in language (missed B by 1 mark) and a B in literature at IGCSE. I am not planning to do anything related to English in the future but I do have to pass AS English Literature or AS English Language to get university entrance in my country. My English results disappoint me as I got A*s in all the other subjects I gave and also that the marks got scaled up a lot due to lockdowns and covid, so my raw mark would be very low for them.

I wanted know if I would fine doing AS literature and what can I do to pass it with flying colours?
GeminiReads11
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Ashmit)
Hi there,

I recently received my IGCSE results and got a C in language (missed B by 1 mark) and a B in literature at IGCSE. I am not planning to do anything related to English in the future but I do have to pass AS English Literature or AS English Language to get university entrance in my country. My English results disappoint me as I got A*s in all the other subjects I gave and also that the marks got scaled up a lot due to lockdowns and covid, so my raw mark would be very low for them.

I wanted know if I would fine doing AS literature and what can I do to pass it with flying colours?
Hi!

From what you've said, it sounds like you'll need to at least pass AS English Literature in order to go to university, but with a B at IGCSE I think that's totally doable.

The course is based a lot on writing longer responses to questions that require analysis of literary texts, an understanding of the contexts in which they were written (social, historical etc), and the ability to clearly and logically argue your point of view. If you've found that your marks in the subject are a bit below the others that you're studying, it would be worth looking at your strengths and identifying what areas you work well in, and which ones you might need to pay more focus to.
For example, it would be useful to learn a range of the kind of literary methods that writers use, like similes, pathetic fallacy, rhyme schemes. How they make the reader feel in the passage? do they create a positive or negative impression? are the words associated with a feeling or idea e.g. red = anger, love, blood; white = innocence, purity; green = nature, growth? Are there any metaphors or images repeated throughout the work, e.g. eyes & sight, locked doors & oppression, or even religious images?

There is some reward at AS for understanding of the world in which a piece of literature was written, as this can help modern readers to understand why some aspects of the writing might be the way that they are. It's useful to know 5 or 6 key events in the writer's life that may influence their writing, (e.g. if they fought in a war, if they suffered the loss of a loved one, if they were religious, if they suffered from mental illness, if they traveled a lot or had an affinity for other cultures which might inspire their writing, etc). Likewise, it can be helpful to know what conditions were like in the time and place the work is set - how were different groups in society treated? how did people work and socialize? what were their cultural practices or beliefs? I would also research a little into the opinion of at least 3 different critics' opinions on each work. In an essay, you can quote from critics to show that you are able to consider other points of view than your own, whether you agree or disagree.

However, the most important part of studying literature at AS is getting an understanding of the novel, play or poem for yourself, so that you can form your own opinions on it. Typical exam questions will ask you to consider one way of looking at things, and you will have to argue to what extent you agree - it is highly beneficial to have a good knowledge of the text, so that you can make an argument that can be supported by quotes and literary analysis. You should have read whatever text you're studying 4 times before the final exam, make chapter and character summaries to keep on top of events, and make notes as you go along rather than cram at the last minute. You can make life easier for yourself by learning a range of versatile quotes that can be used for different essays. If it helps, there are film adaptations of most classic novels and plays which can familiarize you with the main story, whilst websites like Sparknotes have good summaries for revision. When it comes to writing an essay in the exam, the most important thing is not to panic! Trust yourself and try to think as rationally as possible, spending about 10-15% of the time to plan a coherent answer.

Apologies for the length! I do hope this helps answer your question on how to confidently pass AS English Literature, I would like to have been more specific but it will depend on which texts you study, and how the mark scheme is applied (something else worth checking!). Wish you good luck in the future
Ashmit
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Tysm so much for replying
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (5)
20%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (2)
8%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
16%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (2)
8%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (7)
28%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (5)
20%

Watched Threads