Student Loan Eligibility

Watch this thread
hohoho610
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I am 17 years old doing foundation course under Leeds Beckett which started Sept 21. I am a UK national but haven't been living in UK for the previous 3 years, can I still apply for student loan?
SFE Isaac
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by hohoho610)
I am 17 years old doing foundation course under Leeds Beckett which started Sept 21. I am a UK national but haven't been living in UK for the previous 3 years, can I still apply for student loan?
Hi there,

In order to determine your eligibility, please confirm:

1. Which university and course you are looking to start your studies with?
2. The country you were residing in and the reason you were there.
3. Any previous study and qualifications you may hold.

Thanks, Isaac
hohoho610
Rep:
Started in Sept 21 at Leeds Beckett Biomedical Science with foundation

Born in Hong Kong and have been living there since due to parents working there but I am a UK national

N/A
SFE Isaac
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Started in Sept 21 at Leeds Beckett Biomedical Science with foundation

Born in Hong Kong and have been living there since due to parents working there but I am a UK national

N/A
Have you ever resided in the UK at all?

Thanks, Isaac
hohoho610
Rep:
Been back in UK many times for holiday. But the main reason I wasn't living in UK was my parents working abroad, does this not count?
SFE Isaac
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Been back in UK many times for holiday. But the main reason I wasn't living in UK was my parents working abroad, does this not count?
As per our guidance:

UK Nationals must meet the below residency requirements as standard for Higher Education funding;

Ordinarily resident in the UK, Channel Islands or Isle of Man for the 3 years immediately before the 1st day of the 1st academic year of their course for reasons other than full-time education (
Ordinarily resident in England on the 1st day of the 1st academic year of their course.
Settled under the terms of Immigration Act 1971 (and not subject to any restrictions on the period for which they may stay).

You do not meet this criteria and are therefore ineligible for funding.

Thanks, Isaac
hohoho610
Rep:
(Original post by SFE Isaac)
As per our guidance:

UK Nationals must meet the below residency requirements as standard for Higher Education funding;

Ordinarily resident in the UK, Channel Islands or Isle of Man for the 3 years immediately before the 1st day of the 1st academic year of their course for reasons other than full-time education (
Ordinarily resident in England on the 1st day of the 1st academic year of their course.
Settled under the terms of Immigration Act 1971 (and not subject to any restrictions on the period for which they may stay).

You do not meet this criteria and are therefore ineligible for funding.

Thanks, Isaac
What about Maintenance Loan, am I eligible to apply for this separately?
SFE Isaac
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
What about Maintenance Loan, am I eligible to apply for this separately?
Unfortunately you are not eligible for any funding at all due to not meeting the criteria above.

Thanks, Isaac
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (5)
20%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (2)
8%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
16%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (2)
8%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (7)
28%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (5)
20%

Watched Threads