Driving test (practical) tips

Watch this thread
b140704
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Any top tips? What things should I keep in mind in my practical driving test?
user432
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
stay calm, no need to worry as if you don't pass its not the end of the world, you can take the test again. always check your blindspot before moving off. make it really obvious you are checking mirrors, exaggerate head movements slightly. just drive like you normally do and try to not worry about what the examiner is writing down as you'll just make urself more nervous.
slartibartfast4
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
You definitely do not need to exaggerate your head movements when checking mirrors, just drive normally the way you have been taught. There's a great book you can get from Amazon called 'the driving test & how to pass' - it takes you through everything you need to know and debunks the myths that surround the driving test including the one about 'You need to exaggerate the movement of your head so the examiner can see you using the mirrors.’!
user432
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by slartibartfast4)
You definitely do not need to exaggerate your head movements when checking mirrors, just drive normally the way you have been taught. There's a great book you can get from Amazon called 'the driving test & how to pass' - it takes you through everything you need to know and debunks the myths that surround the driving test including the one about 'You need to exaggerate the movement of your head so the examiner can see you using the mirrors.’!
i didnt have to but ive heard many stories of people talking about them having ***hole examiners that would fail them for not checking mirros when they did. better to be safe than sorry.
slartibartfast4
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by user432)
i didnt have to but ive heard many stories of people talking about them having ***hole examiners that would fail them for not checking mirros when they did. better to be safe than sorry.
I think you will probably find that these people didn't fail because they didn't check their mirrors, but because they didn't act safely on what they saw in them.

"Just looking is not enough - you must look soon enough, judge what may happen, and act accordingly".

The key is 'effective' use of mirrors, not just looking in them
Zarek
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Being basically competent before sitting the test, concentrating hard throughout, expect the unexpected, keep a sense of perspective to help with nerves
tinyperson
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
make notes
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (25)
18.94%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (15)
11.36%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (10)
7.58%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (22)
16.67%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (34)
25.76%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (26)
19.7%

Watched Threads