The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Is there any flexibility in the 4 year degree requirement at Cambridge

Hi all
I've applied for the MSt Sustainability Leadership at Cambridge course. I otherwise meet the course requirements but shockingly I have a three year degree (totally normal in my country) not a four year degree. I actually have two degrees that qualify as being Bachelor's degrees. Other universities (ie Oxford, LSE) seem to have policies that allow applicants to meet minimum requirements with a three year degree but Cambridge seem to be quite strict on this point. Does anyone have any experience of applying to a Masters program at Cambridge with less than the four year degree requirement and any intel on if there is any flexibility on this? Thanks
NB: I could totally apply for other universities but to be honest I'm in my mid 30s with 15 years of experience, there aren't many Masters programs that cater for mid-career professionals in sustainability other than Cambridge MSt course and I don't think I'd thrive in a full time program anyway.
Three-year undergraduate degrees are the standard in England. It’s what most English postgraduate applicants will have (Scottish universities do four-year degrees; not sure about Wales and NI). It’s also what Cambridge mostly has for their own undergraduates! (Some subjects may have extra years but three is the norm.)

Where did you see Cambridge specifying number of years? What I see is just that their postgrad requirements are about having an undergraduate degree to a certain standard, no mention of years.
(edited 2 years ago)
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Original post by catscatsmanycats
Three-year undergraduate degrees are the standard in England. It’s what most English postgraduate applicants will have (Scottish universities do four-year degrees; not sure about Wales and NI). It’s also what Cambridge mostly has for their own undergraduates! (Some subjects may have extra years but three is the norm.)

Where did you see Cambridge specifying number of years? What I see is just that their postgrad requirements are about having an undergraduate degree to a certain standard, no mention of years.

In the equivalence requirements it says a four year Australian degree is considered the equivalent of a British 2:1 degree which is the requirement for admission. It's odd because as I said none of the other universities specify the number of years, they typically just call for a Bachelor degree with a GPA of over a particular achievement.
Original post by christinelaura1
In the equivalence requirements it says a four year Australian degree is considered the equivalent of a British 2:1 degree which is the requirement for admission. It's odd because as I said none of the other universities specify the number of years, they typically just call for a Bachelor degree with a GPA of over a particular achievement.

You said you’re from someplace where three-year degrees are the norm. Is that Australia? And are you saying that Cambridge is requiring four-year degrees from a country that doesn’t typically give them?

You might get more relevant answers if you specify Australia in your thread title and original post. Australian Cambridge students would be your best bet. Good luck!
Reply 4
I think you would need to apply via the non-standard route since it sounds like you don't have an honours degree from Australia. You would need to submit a GMAT or GRE score to them:

"Exceptional candidates who do not meet the above standard academic requirements may be considered, based on the ability to demonstrate suitability for postgraduate study through professional and other attainments. The submission of a GMAT (or GRE) score would be useful for supporting your case (achieving at least the 50th percentile in every sub-score e.g. verbal, quants in a single test)."

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending