Arron180691
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi guys, I'm 30 years old with a house (mortgage) a partner and 2 kids, I've been wanting to go to uni for a few years now but the worry about paying Bills etc as a student always made it seem impossible so always put me off. But I feel like I will kick myself forever if i dont give it a shot. My partner is a full time student and I'm currently on a 31k a year job as a hgv driver but want a job/career I can advance and learn new things. Basically my question is in your opinion is it worth giving up a 31k (but dead end) job to go to uni and do an engineering degree full time? I'd hate to finish the degree 60k in student debt and not make any more money than what I already am driving trucks, can anyone give some input? Tia
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Arron180691)
Hi guys, I'm 30 years old with a house (mortgage) a partner and 2 kids, I've been wanting to go to uni for a few years now but the worry about paying Bills etc as a student always made it seem impossible so always put me off. But I feel like I will kick myself forever if i dont give it a shot. My partner is a full time student and I'm currently on a 31k a year job as a hgv driver but want a job/career I can advance and learn new things. Basically my question is in your opinion is it worth giving up a 31k (but dead end) job to go to uni and do an engineering degree full time? I'd hate to finish the degree 60k in student debt and not make any more money than what I already am driving trucks, can anyone give some input? Tia
Hi Arron180691

It's a really big decision to change career when you have so many responsibilities. But you've taken the first step and are doing your research, so well done! Have you had a conversation with Student Finance England? They will be able to give you some solid and impartial financial advice about what you may be entitled to in terms of funding.

In terms of the student finance debt, this is a lot different to many "real world" debts and will not affect your personal finances. The repay rate on a student loan is very low and many students don't repay a lot of their loan. So try not to let repaying your loan affect your decision too much.

Personally, I have lots of friends who are mature students that came to university for a career change and I haven't met anyone yet who has regretted their decision. An engineering degree will provide you with a very specific and in demand skill set that many businesses require in an everchanging world. So I think it's a great choice, especially if it is something you've always wanted to do.

Have a look at our Mature Learners Guide here. This guide was created by mature students for mature students and may give you some advice on how to go through what can be a confusing process.

If you need any more information or help, just let me know.

Laura :rave:
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Arron180691)
Well the first step is do you have the qualifications to study engineering right now? if no, your going to need to spend 1-2 more years before university getting up to scratch. Then another 3-4 years at university not making any money.

When going for a graduate job its worth noting your unlikely to jump straight into the job market and make 1.5 or 2x what you make now. Most graduate schemes in engineering pay high 20s, but most people can scale their salary in the first few years. You would probably end up earning a good chunk more then 31K + inflation... I suppose part of the problem you'll encounter is your initial jobs will be aimed at 22-23yo's whereas you'll be 36ish. Its a tricky one you could always look at something like the Open university to get your degree.

I think to understand the finances your best off opening a spreadsheet and trying to model the costs versus future salary, compared to your current job and see how feasible it all is.
Arron180691
Rep:
(Original post by Liverpool Hope University)
Hi Arron180691

It's a really big decision to change career when you have so many responsibilities. But you've taken the first step and are doing your research, so well done! Have you had a conversation with Student Finance England? They will be able to give you some solid and impartial financial advice about what you may be entitled to in terms of funding.

In terms of the student finance debt, this is a lot different to many "real world" debts and will not affect your personal finances. The repay rate on a student loan is very low and many students don't repay a lot of their loan. So try not to let repaying your loan affect your decision too much.

Personally, I have lots of friends who are mature students that came to university for a career change and I haven't met anyone yet who has regretted their decision. An engineering degree will provide you with a very specific and in demand skill set that many businesses require in an everchanging world. So I think it's a great choice, especially if it is something you've always wanted to do.

Have a look at our Mature Learners Guide here. This guide was created by mature students for mature students and may give you some advice on how to go through what can be a confusing process.

If you need any more information or help, just let me know.

Laura :rave:
Thanks for the reply it's nice to read posotive views on the matter, I'm yet to ring the student finance services but will be next week, my monthly Bill's arent that high at the min so hopefully I could afford it and with me being a hgv driver at the min i can always pick up work on the side very easily, but like you said it seems a huge step/risk when I bring in most of the income and have always been the provider, to give that up and risk financial stability for the family is abit unsettling, but your right I wont know till I ring student services. Also the fact that I'd be a 'mature student' isnt nice to come to terms with haha makes me feel so old. But like I said I appreciate the reply it's pretty much what I wanted to hear and has give me a motivation boost in the right direction 👍😁
Arron180691
Rep:
(Original post by mnot)
Well the first step is do you have the qualifications to study engineering right now? if no, your going to need to spend 1-2 more years before university getting up to scratch. Then another 3-4 years at university not making any money.

When going for a graduate job its worth noting your unlikely to jump straight into the job market and make 1.5 or 2x what you make now. Most graduate schemes in engineering pay high 20s, but most people can scale their salary in the first few years. You would probably end up earning a good chunk more then 31K + inflation... I suppose part of the problem you'll encounter is your initial jobs will be aimed at 22-23yo's whereas you'll be 36ish. Its a tricky one you could always look at something like the Open university to get your degree.

I think to understand the finances your best off opening a spreadsheet and trying to model the costs versus future salary, compared to your current job and see how feasible it all is.
Hanks for the reply mate, I'm not keen on the idea of open university along side working 50+ hours a week to be fair I dont seem to have much free time at the min so to get even less is a no go. I'm keen on the idea of quitting full time work which is all I've ever done for the last 13 years and becoming a full time student, kind of a complete lifestyle change it's pretty exciting. And I'm not sure on the grades 2bh it's been a while since I looked what grades are needed but I'm confident I have the brains for the course/career, like you said though i think I'm going to need to do a 1 year college access course before uni so am hopefully looking at 4-5 years like you said but hopefully dont have to do it while getting no money like you said, I'm hoping to get a decent amount of financial help in terms of student loans etc I've been told when you have a house and kids etc they're quite generous with the financial help you qualify for so fingers crossed. Plus with me being a hgv driver there is PLENTY of work to pick up on the side if needed and even after I qualify if I dont get a job straight away then I'll just hop back on the trucks. My thought process at the min is the trucks are an awesome backup job and should ALWAYS be there for me to jump back into when needed, but I'm not getting any younger and think I will kick myself every year for not giving uni a try and regret it massively once I'm too old to go. I'm very ambitious and hate the whole 'glass ceiling' part of everyday jobs and not being able to learn anything else in my current job, no new skills, no job progression. Still be sat in the same seat on the same wage, knowing the same things in 20 years time and I hate the thought of it, feels like a dead end job / life sentence . Whence looking into the uni route 👍
mackers_ire
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
You can also search on the government's find an apprenticeship site (simple Google search should bring you to it) as they often advertise engineering degree apprenticeships on there.
Arron180691
Rep:
(Original post by mackers_ire)
You can also search on the government's find an apprenticeship site (simple Google search should bring you to it) as they often advertise engineering degree apprenticeships on th
I couldn't really afford to live on the apprenticeship pay rate at 30 years old with a house and family etc, at least with uni I've heard that you get alot of financial help under my circumstances so hopefully this way it's enough for me to live off but we will see . Thanks though 👍🙂
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (25)
18.94%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (15)
11.36%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (10)
7.58%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (22)
16.67%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (34)
25.76%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (26)
19.7%

Watched Threads