The Student Room Group

English Language Paper 2 Question 5

i have an exam on this question today, how do i structure it? like how many paragraphs because my teacher never said
I'm guessing I'm a little late to help for the exam itself, but I'll leave this here for future reference. Language Paper 2, Q5, asks you to write a piece of persuasive writing - as you already know. As a result, there is no "best" structure, it is entirely up to you. That being said, there is most definitely things you should do to create a good answer. The general structure goes along the lines of:
- Introduction
- Point 1
- Point 2
- Point 3
- Conclusion
That's what I find works best. That being said, you should aim to write as many arguments as time allows. If you have the time to write 4 points in support of you, then do it. If you have enough for 5, do it. This, aside from time, also depends on how quickly you write and how quickly you got through the rest of the paper. In terms of the structure of the paragraphs themselves, again, it's very loose. We haven't really been taught a structure for each paragraph, though it's safe to assume that you have to establish your point and then go on to use examples, language techniques to demonstrate it. Having said that, don't fall into the trap of just going, "One reason x is wrong is because... Another reason x is wrong is because... Lastly, x is also wrong because." Remember, this isn't a history or RE essay, this is a piece of persuasive writing. Treating this like a RE 12-marker makes it seem boring, it's not terribly fun to read something which is repetitive and unengaging. For example, say the question is about youth, you could say, "The previous generation play God. Their slimy, skinny hands bound to strings which they manipulate eloquently with ease. 'Who's at the base of these strings?', I hear you ask: the youth. The youth of today are." That's just an example to an introduction, remember, you can show your viewpoint without explicitly stating it, in fact, that's probably the best way of going about it. I'm sure you're also aware that, if it asks for a letter, then you must include typical letter conventions (e.g. "Dear Mr X..."). You must adapt your structure according to the form provided in the question. It's also worth using structural techniques like motifs or a cyclical structure; this shows the examiner that you've thought of your piece as a whole (part of getting the top band for content + organisation).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending