m.mandhyan
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi,
I am applying for Msc in Psychology conversion this year, does anyone have any advice about the content of personal statement and which universities have a good psychology department.
itsmefromhk
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
Hi, I've applied to a conversion course similar as you are going to! Basically, the content of personal statement varies in each university as their requirement is slightly different. It is stated clearly in their entry requirements under 'personal statement'. Personally, I think Edinburgh, St. Andrews, UCL, and Manchester are the most reputable. I'm not sure if they have the best psychology department, but I think they have good academic standing in general.
m.mandhyan
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by itsmefromhk)
Hi, I've applied to a conversion course similar as you are going to! Basically, the content of personal statement varies in each university as their requirement is slightly different. It is stated clearly in their entry requirements under 'personal statement'. Personally, I think Edinburgh, St. Andrews, UCL, and Manchester are the most reputable. I'm not sure if they have the best psychology department, but I think they have good academic standing in general.
Hi, thank you for replying. Do you know if UCL accepts low 2:1, I was quite ill for most of my undergrad and hated the subject I chose so I didn't do well.
I am applying to Cardiff, Surrey and Goldsmith's for now.
itsmefromhk
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by m.mandhyan)
Hi, thank you for replying. Do you know if UCL accepts low 2:1, I was quite ill for most of my undergrad and hated the subject I chose so I didn't do well.
It seems that UCL accepts a low 2nd honour on circumstances that you have sufficient work experience to compensate the degree. But they are unclear regarding how much work experience you actually need. Besides, their admission process is really slow... I know that Manchester says that their programme is competitive, so a higher achievement of degree is usually preferable (1st hon > 2 : 1), but I'm not sure if that applies to UCL since this is even more competitive. I think the unis you've chosen are safe choices, but you may try other unis which don't specify you having an upper or lower second honours to have a greater chance. Have you checked out Sheffield and York? They're more lenient in admissions and focus more on your personal statement I think (just personal thought), but still they are respectable unis. Good luck!
University of Surrey Student Rep
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by m.mandhyan)
Hi m.mandhyan,

It's great to hear that you are interested in studying MSc Psychology conversion at Surrey. I would suggest speaking to our admissions team to advise you on the entry requirements and allow you to ask them some questions!

You can call them on the number below:

Tel: +44 (0)1483 682222
Monday to Friday between 10am - 12noon and 2pm - 4pm.

Please let me know if you have any questions, as I am here to help.

Joao
Economics
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (141)
42.73%
Not yet, but I will soon (58)
17.58%
No (131)
39.7%

Watched Threads