Getting a job during sixth form

Watch this thread
anonymous7291
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I'm 17 and this is my first year of sixth form. I'm looking to get a job because I now have less hours at school. The problem is that I only have voluntary experience for 3 months (1 hour a week). I don't know if that's even enough to get a job. And I'm not sure on how to write a perfect CV like the statement us currently only three sentences long. I'm not sure how to stand out when applying for jobs either and what to do at an interview. I have applied for a couple jobs online but have had no responses back from anyone of them (applied for three). I'm limited go places that are local since travel everyday would cost too much. Any advice or tips you have will be helpful and very much appreciated.
thealphabetsays
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by anonymous7291)
I'm 17 and this is my first year of sixth form. I'm looking to get a job because I now have less hours at school. The problem is that I only have voluntary experience for 3 months (1 hour a week). I don't know if that's even enough to get a job. And I'm not sure on how to write a perfect CV like the statement us currently only three sentences long. I'm not sure how to stand out when applying for jobs either and what to do at an interview. I have applied for a couple jobs online but have had no responses back from anyone of them (applied for three). I'm limited go places that are local since travel everyday would cost too much. Any advice or tips you have will be helpful and very much appreciated.
Have you done any online courses? Any maths challenge type things? Girl guiding/scouts? Any sports/extracurricular clubs?

These are all things I used to pad out my CV for my first job. Just say when you took part (eg. September 2018 - July 2019), a little about what was required from you, and then what you took from the experience, ie skills you learnt.

Your opening statement only needs to be a couple of sentences long. Just work in a couple of key qualities, eg. As a highly-motivated individual, evidenced by my GCSE grades...

In terms of where to apply, I definitely recommend local shops. The pay may not be amazing but there'll definitely be somewhere looking to hire. I work in a bakery and the main perk of my job is that I get to take home any left over cakes...
imogen28
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
You could also try going round your local area with a few copies of your CV printed off and ask shops/cafes if they are hiring, plus some shops will have signs up in the window saying they’re hiring. A bit of voluntary experience is a lot better than nothing! Explain what skills you gained from it as well as talking about anything extra you’ve done at school that you think might be relevant.
anonymous7291
Rep:
I was going to do year 10 work experience but because of covid it had been cancelled. I have completed the Duke of Edinburgh Bronze award and a couple extracurricular activities during secondary school. I didn't know I could include things like these thank you! I'll redo my personal statement and go around local places with my CV and hope it works out. That sounds like a fun job still who would want free cake haha. I'll try my luck at some cafes then
Last edited by anonymous7291; 3 months ago
anonymous7291
Rep:
(Original post by imogen28)
You could also try going round your local area with a few copies of your CV printed off and ask shops/cafes if they are hiring, plus some shops will have signs up in the window saying they’re hiring. A bit of voluntary experience is a lot better than nothing! Explain what skills you gained from it as well as talking about anything extra you’ve done at school that you think might be relevant.
Ohh I see. I've given my CV to one place this week and I'm hoping to get a response. But maybe I should try give it to a couple of places just incase. I have done extra things during secondary school but not really in sixth form yet so I'lll most likely put those
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Try all sorts of places- e.g. shops, supermarkets, fast food places, cafes, restaurants, cinemas, local attractions, touristy type places etc etc.
Look on websites such as indeed.com
Also look on companies own websites- some companies such as tesco and mcdonalds require you to apply online on their websites. Also look for adverts in shop windows.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA Combined Science - Biology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (22)
37.93%
The paper was reasonable (21)
36.21%
Not feeling great about that exam... (10)
17.24%
It was TERRIBLE (5)
8.62%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed