Veterinary or medicine???

Watch this thread
Celsmithh200004
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hello,
Im on lower 6th so will be applying to uni in September. I am really confused at the moment about what I want to apply for ! I study biology chem and french. I’m not that great at chem but willing to put in the hard work to get a top grade.
For the longest time I have wanted to be a vet but recently after meeting a lot of negative feedback I have been questioning whether this is really what I want to do? I am in the process right now of arranging lots of work experience.
I have also thought about medicine as I did a day I. A hospital and enjoyed it a lot. Is medicine more fun at uni than veterinary?
I just am a bit lost!

Anyone who can offer some advice etc, id really appreciate xx
Horsesarethebest
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
Definitely try and get some vet work experience, it is probably one of the only ways for you to tell. I’d also talk to people studying these subjects at the unis you are thinking off and get their opinions. However I’d follow your gut feeling though remember if you change your mind you are still able to reapply for the other course as they have the same subject requirements.
ReadingMum
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
both of them are really vocational - you have to really want to be a vet to get the place as it is so competitive. You will need a good Chemistry grade (A) for vet school and likely for med school too. Your best bet is to get as much work experience as possible.
You need to examine what the negative feedback was - and who from.
Both vet and med are tough choices but there are aspects of vet med, such as being able to fix an animal but the owner not having the money, which might be more challenging.
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Since for both you would require work experience, as above you should definitely try and get work experience for each. I don't think either is necessarily more "fun" at uni and the courses are probably similar in intensity (and some of the content in the early/pre-clinical stages may be similar as well - Cambridge used to teach vets and medics together for a number of their core papers in the first two years).

Bear in mind though that the course is just the first step for both vocations. You need to be taking a long view on things and understanding what the actual job for each is going to be like in the end - as that's all the degree exists for. I imagine the work for each and the demands are going to be quite different in many respects although both challenging in their own ways.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (138)
43.81%
Not yet, but I will soon (54)
17.14%
No (123)
39.05%

Watched Threads