The Student Room Group

university

what do you need to bring to uni?
Original post by Anonymous
what do you need to bring to uni?

Hi there,
If you are living away from home then you'll want to take all the things that make you happy. Just little possessions that can remind you of a good memory can really help your space feel like your own. Its quite strange when you first start living away from home so decorating your room and making it feel like a space where you can retreat to is essential in my books.
Then there's the essentials. Basic cooking equipment, bedding, towels, toiletries, stationery... whatever you feel you can't live without basically. You don't need to bring everything, sometimes its nice to leave some things at home so that you don't always have to travel back and forth with loads of stuff. Hope you have a great start at uni!
-Grace
Hi, once you find out who you will be living with, it is helpful to create a group chat before you move in so you can decide who brings what i.e. the kettle, toaster, black bin bags etc (some accommodations provide these, but some don't, so make sure to check what your accommodation does and does not have). Sometimes you get flatmates who party a lot in the accommodation, so some form of ear plug is also a good idea to bring. Lavender bags/sleep mists are good to bring too.

You should bring shopping bags and a freezer bag, as well as cutlery, fairy liquid, scrubbing brushes/sponges, tea bags/cups, bowls, plates etc. It can be helpful to bring a chart/rota of some sort to keep track of who buys what so that the same people aren't always buying everything. You could also bring a simple recipe book, or get your parents to write down how to make some of your favourite meals so you can make them yourself at uni.

It's good to bring a diary, and when you get your timetable, to write all of these into it (I like to colour code it by different modules). Bring multiple notebooks/folders, use a different one for each module, and it makes keeping organised and writing assignments/revising for exams a lot easier, bring post it notes and highlighters, as well as flash cards/revision cards. The cards are really helpful for if you need to present a presentation or revise.

You should also get a student bank card, find ones with perks that you like. Personally I like Santander for this, you get a free 16-25yr railcard. You could also sign up for a NUS card which gets you a lot of discounts and sign up for Unidays.

And as Grace said, you do get homesick at university during the beginning, often after freshers week has died down, so bring pictures of family and friends :smile:

I wish you the best of luck for starting university.

- Rosie
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest