I forgot italics in one of my references

Watch this thread
iQuestionNotAnsa
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Will I lose marks?
savageking
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
maybe drop of around 10% in your mark.Sometimes people think they think as plagiarism since the source is fully cited (just in the wrong way for that assignment
iQuestionNotAnsa
Rep:
damn it
savageking
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
yea
Anonymous #1
Report 3 months ago
I'm alloying to university this year so excuse my ignorance but why would you lose marks for not referencing in italics? What's the significance of italics in University referencing?
Anonymous #1
Report 3 months ago
*applying
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by iQuestionNotAnsa)
Will I lose marks?
Tbh, I doubt you would get penalised for one instance of this. If everything else is consistent, it might not even be noticed.
iQuestionNotAnsa
Rep:
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
Tbh, I doubt you would get penalised for one instance of this. If everything else is consistent, it might not even be noticed.
Just realised, they asked for Word and I submitted it in PDF...
I got full stops in my bibliography in random places as well
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Just realised, they asked for Word and I submitted it in PDF...
I got full stops in my bibliography in random places as well
Depending on the emphasis on formatting in the marking rubric, you may not gain a few marks for the mistakes.
Mesopotamian.
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I’ve been at university for longer than most people and I didn’t even realise italics within references was necessary…
wifd149
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Will I lose marks?
Unlikely, if it’s really minor they will be waived most times.

I once didn’t follow the essay format of double spacing and whatnot, and didn’t get penalised at all. I’ve seen some first class essays with wrong punctuation and they still get good marks. A minor problem in your citations wouldn’t cause a major issue unless you were supposed to do OSCOLA style of referencing and instead did the Harvard style.
wifd149
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Mesopotamian.)
I’ve been at university for longer than most people and I didn’t even realise italics within references was necessary…
It’s for book titles most times, but this shows that most people aren’t penalise for it ya’ know.
gjd800
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by savageking)
maybe drop of around 10% in your mark.Sometimes people think they think as plagiarism since the source is fully cited (just in the wrong way for that assignment
I'm sorry but this is just incorrect in the vast majority of cases. I have never seen this happen in 12 years at various institutions, nor have I ever penalised a student for a single instance of it. A drop of a whole grade boundary could not possibly be defended.
Last edited by gjd800; 3 months ago
Duffy97
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
It depends on your university and what reference style you’re using.

Was it a quote or a footnote you had forgot to italicise? Personally my university didn’t like using italics unless it was for a book title, and I’d almost never italicise in the text itself.

I remember my dissertation tutor telling me once that consistency and accuracy are the main things when referencing. Everyone makes mistakes, especially if you’re doing a large piece of work with sometimes 40-50 or even 100+ (if your thesis) sources. I highly doubt you’d be penalised much if at all simply for not italicising a reference.
ROTL94 2
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by savageking)
Erm, why would he lose 10% for forgetting to italicise a reference? OP I wouldn't worry about it, you'll probably just get a throwaway comment made about it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (54)
18.82%
The paper was reasonable (106)
36.93%
Not feeling great about that exam... (84)
29.27%
It was TERRIBLE (43)
14.98%

Watched Threads