How can i get into an IT course?

Watch this thread
Coldhands0
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Im 19 and im not doing anything at the moment and i want to get into IT and try get into a course or something,how would i go about doing that.ive looked online and i cant really find much
Coldhands0
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
A course thread?
Anonymous #1
Report 3 months ago
search 'it courses in (your location)'
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
What level of course do you want to do? A Further Education (FE i.e. 6th Form) course, a uni degree, something else?

If you want to look at uni level studies in the area search on UCAS - there are lots of computing degrees available, ranging from computer science to IT focused courses. If your prior qualifications don't meet the requirement you can look at degrees with a foundation year or at Access to HE courses in the area.

For FE courses you should look at local providers to see what is offered. As you are 19 you may or may not be liable for fees for such a course (I think if you are under 19 before the course starts it will be free, if you are 19 I'm not sure if that's when you need to pay for it yourself or if it's over 19 but not inclusive), although you may be eligible for an Advanced Learner Loan for such a course. If your longer term aim is to go into a degree course in the area then definitely look at Access to HE courses specifically when you are looking at this - but bear in mind not all Access courses are accepted by all degrees or unis, so I would recommend you check with any unis you may wish to apply to later to see if they will accept the course.

The OU might also be an option if you want to do a degree but don't meet the requirements for brick uni courses - the OU has a number of computing courses, all taught via distance learning, and have no formal entry requirements typically (you may need to do a foundational module if you have very limited mathematical background i.e. pre-GCSE, but this is dependent on your background and abilities).

If you want to do such a course because you want to work in that field then you may also want to explore apprenticeship opportunities to more directly start working in the area while training in it.

There are lots of options, it really depends on your background and future plans/interests!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (25)
18.94%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (15)
11.36%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (10)
7.58%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (22)
16.67%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (34)
25.76%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (26)
19.7%

Watched Threads