How do I get back to studying after death of dad?

Watch this thread
DazzaHatty
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
My dad died July last year. I've taken a year out and in that time the plan was to complete all outstanding work.

I haven't been able to do this, before I'd be studying from home and my dad would lay his palm on my shoulder and read what I was doing. Then offer things I could add. Whilst encouraging me I can do it and pushing me further.

Now I try and I don't have any of that and it's near enough impossible for me to encourage myself like my dad would. His encouragement was the only one that every really sunk in. Now that's gone I have nothing there really.

I don't know how to do it anymore.
youmumsdead123
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by DazzaHatty)
My dad died July last year. I've taken a year out and in that time the plan was to complete all outstanding work.

I haven't been able to do this, before I'd be studying from home and my dad would lay his palm on my shoulder and read what I was doing. Then offer things I could add. Whilst encouraging me I can do it and pushing me further.

Now I try and I don't have any of that and it's near enough impossible for me to encourage myself like my dad would. His encouragement was the only one that every really sunk in. Now that's gone I have nothing there really.

I don't know how to do it anymore.
Just think your dad is there with you
username5637224
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
First of all I'm sorry for your loss and can understand how demotivated you must feel. No one who has lost someone who has counted enormously for them can just carry on as if nothing has happened, so it's normal to be finding things hard. But, as the above poster has said, imagining his presence and the kind of comments he would be making may help you in getting back into work mode, and if he was implicated in your studies, then the last thing he would want is for you to give up because of his death. Do it for yourself and not for him, but know that he would be proud of you for doing so.
Last edited by username5637224; 3 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (25)
18.94%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (15)
11.36%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (10)
7.58%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (22)
16.67%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (34)
25.76%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (26)
19.7%

Watched Threads