is getting a 2:2 really that bad?

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Currently in third year and it's not going well. I hope I get a 2:1 but there's still the possibility that I'll get a 2:2. Would this make it difficult to find a job or get accepted to masters courses?
Cote1
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
There are lots of employers who won't mind if you get a 2:2.
lalenemalik1998
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
2.2 is not that bad as i got it too in my undergrad but i would highly suggest to put in extra work in your disso as it can bring your marks quite a lot
Anonymous #1
I don't really know what to do, I don't have a lot of experience (just a few years volunteering prior to starting uni and an 8 month research project last summer) so I'm not exactly an ideal candidate for employers. Getting another degree doesn't seem worth it but master courses also seem out of reach. Does anyone have any advice?
Cote1
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I would focus on getting as good a degree as you can. Don't worry too much as a lot of employers don't care if it is a 2:2.

What kind of job or area do you want to move into, if you are considering a masters?
Last edited by Cote1; 3 months ago
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Cote1)
I would focus on getting as good a degree as you can. Don't worry too much as a lot of employers don't care if it is a 2:2.

What kind of job or area do you want to move into, if you are considering a Masters?
Hey, thank you for the reply. I was on track to get a first (I averaged 70%+ for year 1 and 2 ) but my third year project didn't go well and I'll be lucky to get even 50%. I'm still considering whether to do a masters but otherwise I've been looking to go into science communication. I looked at some jobs but they all require a 2:1 or a masters :/
Cote1
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hey, thank you for the reply. I was on track to get a first (I averaged 70%+ for year 1 and 2 ) but my third year project didn't go well and I'll be lucky to get even 50%. I'm still considering whether to do a masters but otherwise I've been looking to go into science communication. I looked at some jobs but they all require a 2:1 or a masters :/
I don't know anything about this area. You could research areas you can work in if you get a 2:2.
Abzino1
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
You can definitely still get jobs. Ive applied to a lot of private companies and have received responses.

Also, lots of schemes in the public allow you to apply with a 2:2.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Abzino1)
You can definitely still get jobs. Ive applied to a lot of private companies and have received responses.

Also, lots of schemes in the public allow you to apply with a 2:2.
Is there anything else I can do to seem more employable? and by "in the public" are you referring to a specific sector?
Wired_1800
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Currently in third year and it's not going well. I hope I get a 2:1 but there's still the possibility that I'll get a 2:2. Would this make it difficult to find a job or get accepted to masters courses?
The value of a degree classification is losing meaning. Some employers are apparently thinking of removing a degree as a requirement for employment.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Wired_1800)
The value of a degree classification is losing meaning. Some employers are apparently thinking of removing a degree as a requirement for employment.
But a lot of the graduate roles I come across seem to ask for a 2:1 minimum..
mnot
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
It will certainly restrict your options on the graduate job market, and ability to apply to competitive masters courses but it’s not the end of the world, their are masters & jobs you can go for.
Cote1
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
But a lot of the graduate roles I come across seem to ask for a 2:1 minimum..
You should also focus your research on jobs and careers where a 2:1 is not required.
Abzino1
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Is there anything else I can do to seem more employable? and by "in the public" are you referring to a specific sector?
Yeah sorry that was a typo, I meant to say public sector*. Have a look at NGDP, NHS GMTS, Civil Service Fast Stream, TFL, Mi5 and also direct entry roles. The best thing about these ones is that they are meritocratic, therefore your CV and work experience doesn't matter. The best thing you can do is revise and research as much as possible. Im currently applying for all of these.

Private sector roles are available too, one of the top schemes that allow 2:2 grads is EY. But there are also small and mid size companies who will take you. For these, try to get as much experience as you can. This will allow you to answer those tough questions and give you confidence.

Edit: remember once you get in and gain experience, that degree becomes redundant. So be resilient!
Last edited by Abzino1; 3 months ago
Cote1
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Yeah sorry that was a typo, I meant to say public sector*. Have a look at NGDP, NHS GMTS, Civil Service Fast Stream, TFL, Mi5 and also direct entry roles. The best thing about these ones is that they are meritocratic, therefore your CV and work experience doesn't matter. The best thing you can do is revise and research as much as possible. Im currently applying for all of these.

Private sector roles are available too, one of the top schemes that allow 2:2 grads is EY. But there are also small and mid size companies who will take you. For these, try to get as much experience as you can. This will allow you to answer those tough questions and give you confidence.

Edit: remember once you get in and gain experience, that degree becomes redundant. So be resilient!
Useful suggestions.
Last edited by Cote1; 3 months ago
Anonymous #1

Thank you for the advice. I'm not very familiar with the public sector and have never considered it as an area that I would work in. So, it would be best to focus on lesser known/smaller companies and slowly work my way up?
Cote1
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Definitely - it is far from being the end of the world.
Abzino1
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Thank you for the advice. I'm not very familiar with the public sector and have never considered it as an area that I would work in. So, it would be best to focus on lesser known/smaller companies and slowly work my way up?
No, definitely apply. Even if you dont get in, the experience is invaluable. For instance the Civil Service Fast Stream has really built up my confidence, I feel different to how I was prior to applying. Also, keep in mind that these schemes have different path ways, such as economics, finance, policy etc. So options are available to you.

I think grad schemes should be big focus, they help train you at a fast pace with a variety of exposure in different areas of work. So you should always be applying to them imo..
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
As above, definitely not the end of the world. For your first role out of uni it may limit your choices somewhat, (especially for competitive grad programs). But once you have a year or two’s experience, it should not be a hindrance.

I’ve got a 2:2 and have worked quite extensively in Finance and Higher Education.
Anonymous #1
No, definitely apply. Even if you dont get in, the experience is invaluable. For instance the Civil Service Fast Stream has really built up my confidence, I feel different to how I was prior to applying. Also, keep in mind that these schemes have different path ways, such as economics, finance, policy etc. So options are available to you.

I think grad schemes should be big focus, they help train you at a fast pace with a variety of exposure in different areas of work. So you should always be applying to them imo..
Thanks, this is really helpful and has made me feel better. The Civil Service Fast Stream applications are closed so I'll have to wait to apply. In the mean time I think I'll start looking at grad schemes that don't require a specific degree as they tend to accept 2:2 (or don't look at grades at all).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (128)
42.38%
Not yet, but I will soon (54)
17.88%
No (120)
39.74%

Watched Threads