The Student Room Group

is getting a 2:2 really that bad?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Admit-One
As above, definitely not the end of the world. For your first role out of uni it may limit your choices somewhat, (especially for competitive grad programs). But once you have a year or two’s experience, it should not be a hindrance.

I’ve got a 2:2 and have worked quite extensively in Finance and Higher Education.

How was your experience straight after uni? Did you end up in a career not related to your degree?
Original post by Anonymous
But a lot of the graduate roles I come across seem to ask for a 2:1 minimum..

It is definitely safer to achieve a 2.1.
Original post by Wired_1800
It is definitely safer to achieve a 2.1.

My final year project grade probably won't be very good so I'd need 70%+ in my other modules to even get a 2:1
Thanks, this is really helpful and has made me feel better. The Civil Service Fast Stream applications are closed so I'll have to wait to apply. In the mean time I think I'll start looking at grad schemes that don't require a specific degree as they tend to accept 2:2 (or don't look at grades at all).

You could also consider the NHS grad scheme
Original post by harrysbar
You could also consider the NHS grad scheme

NHS grad scheme applications are closed for this year
NHS grad scheme applications are closed for this year

Yes you will find that generally with grad schemes they close early but there's always next year
How was your experience straight after uni? Did you end up in a career not related to your degree?

It was tough, but many graduates with decent classifications will tell you the same.

I did end up in something not related to my degree, but that was due to the job market at the time rather than my result. Anyone who got a computing related degree in the early 2000’s will tel you the same.

I ended up doing data entry for HSBC for a bit. Not glamorous, but got me in the door so I could see the internal vacancies and work my way up from there.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Admit-One
It was tough, but many graduates with decent classifications will tell you the same.

I did need up in something not related to my degree, but that was due to the job market at the time rather than my result. Anyone who got a computing related degree in the early 2000’s will tel you the same.

I ended up doing data entry for HSBC for a bit. Not glamorous, but got me in the door so I could see the internal vacancies and work my way up from there.

Thank you! I now realise that it's not the end of the world, it just might be a bit more difficult. I won't give up and I'll keep on applying and hopefully end up somewhere.
Reply 28
With that attitude you WILL get somewhere.
Original post by Cote1
With that attitude you WILL get somewhere.

It's definitely difficult to stay positive. I've been having mental health issues recently but haven't been able to get diagnosed yet (ambulance service advised me to go to my GP but I haven't been able to find time). So I can't exactly apply for extenuating circumstances for my project, hence why I have to just accept the low marks. But I'm determined to find something, even if its just for the experience. I'm pretty open to working in any sector tbh because I've realised that I don't enjoy science anymore, or at least the academic side of it. Thank you for the help and advice!
It's definitely difficult to stay positive. I've been having mental health issues recently but haven't been able to get diagnosed yet (ambulance service advised me to go to my GP but I haven't been able to find time). So I can't exactly apply for extenuating circumstances for my project, hence why I have to just accept the low marks. But I'm determined to find something, even if its just for the experience. I'm pretty open to working in any sector tbh because I've realised that I don't enjoy science anymore, or at least the academic side of it. Thank you for the help and advice!

What subject do you study?
Reply 31

With the GP, it may be worth making the time this week for a call to see if they can give you a callback rather than you being seen in person. You could ask for this as a phone call as it would take much less of your time.

I know nothing about the process of applying for extenuating circumstances or what specific criteria apply. Is it too late?

There may be a record of the ambulance service contact with you. The GP may be aware of it.
(edited 2 years ago)
What subject do you study?

biomed
My final year project grade probably won't be very good so I'd need 70%+ in my other modules to even get a 2:1

Work hard and see where you end up
I go a 3rd but got 2:1 in master's
Original post by Proxenus
I go a 3rd but got 2:1 in master's

I hope this doesn't come across as rude but how did you get into a masters programme with a 3rd? As in did you have specific criteria you looked for when applying?
Original post by Cote1
With the GP, it may be worth making the time this week for a call to see if they can give you a callback rather than you being seen in person. You could ask for this as a phone call as it would take much less of your time.

I know nothing about the process of applying for extenuating circumstances or what specific criteria apply. Is it too late?

There may be a record of the ambulance service contact with you. The GP may be aware of it.

I'm going to call them soon but I'm just overwhelmed with work right now. I have a week to apply for extenuating circumstances but I don't think they can do much considering I've already submitted the work. Not sure if there's a record though.
Reply 37
I'm going to call them soon but I'm just overwhelmed with work right now. I have a week to apply for extenuating circumstances but I don't think they can do much considering I've already submitted the work. Not sure if there's a record though.

I don't know the process obviously so am probably getting this completely wrong. I assume that you can still apply (though it is time and stress which I know are not negligible). It would mean a bit of time spent checking the specific policy etc to see if there is a chance. If there, is via a GP letter, you could try a call to your GP. You could explain about your mental health issues and that they have been significantly disruptive and about the ambulance contact and you could even possibly ask if the GP will consider a referral for NHS therapy if you both think it appropriate. The GP just possibly may be prepared to do a letter but you need to explain specifically what is required obviously. You probably will have to pay. There should be an ambulance record somewhere.

Edit - I suppose it might give you a deadline extension but you don't need that. As you submitted it I don't know if it would help in other ways.

It would be good to make your GP aware for the future in case you need to apply.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Cote1
I don't know the process obviously so am probably getting this completely wrong. I assume that you can still apply (though it is time and stress which I know are not negligible). It would mean a bit of time spent checking the specific policy etc to see if there is a chance. If there, is via a GP letter, you could try a call to your GP. You could explain about your mental health issues and that they have been significantly disruptive and about the ambulance contact and you could even possibly ask if the GP will consider a referral for NHS therapy if you both think it appropriate. The GP just possibly may be prepared to do a letter but you need to explain specifically what is required obviously. You probably will have to pay. There should be an ambulance record somewhere.

Edit - I suppose it might give you a deadline extension but you don't need that. As you submitted it I don't know if it would help in other ways.

It would be good to make your GP aware for the future in case you need to apply.

I'll talk to my personal tutor soon, just to explain my situation. Getting help is definitely a priority. Thank you.
I hope this doesn't come across as rude but how did you get into a masters programme with a 3rd? As in did you have specific criteria you looked for when applying?

they just allowed me to when they asked for a 2:2

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending