The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Take into consideration witnesses who’ll be encourage to volunteer to write a report or maybe a description of the incident.

Nobody saw anything, like at all. There were at best 2 other people in the shop and they were at the other end.
They only have “reason to believe” because of two coat hangers. I wasn’t caught with the goods or anything.
Having worked in retail and a bit of security myself because I stopped a thief from escaping with alcohol who tried to shoplift erm they probably at best must have contacted security to review CCTV Footage. Depends how clear the footage looks for you to be identified though you acknowledged your mistake though why do that in the first place champ… don’t do it again

How would they be able to identify me though?
Original post by daisymae123
Nobody saw anything, like at all. There were at best 2 other people in the shop and they were at the other end.
They only have “reason to believe” because of two coat hangers. I wasn’t caught with the goods or anything.

Then I doubt witnesses will you know provide evidence or anything so in your case it’s good and bleak
How would they be able to identify me though?

Security guards have security panels big large screens and monitors in front of them to review every camera angel within each store and review footage from angels, distances at anytime of the day. You even said there was 2 people at best there’s a 1/3 chance you could be spotted. Plus the store wasn’t busy as well so come on…
Security guards have security panels big large screens and monitors in front of them to review every camera angel within each store and review footage from angels, distances at anytime of the day. You even said there was 2 people at best there’s a 1/3 chance you could be spotted. Plus the store wasn’t busy as well so come on…

Yes but how would they know who I am? I get that they have CCTV footage but all they have footage of is me entering the shop and leaving afterwards. There’s nothing on the CCTV to suggest I stole anything at all. It’s literally all to do with two coat hangers in the changing room.
Yes but how would they know who I am? I get that they have CCTV footage but all they have footage of is me entering the shop and leaving afterwards. There’s nothing on the CCTV to suggest I stole anything at all. It’s literally all to do with two coat hangers in the changing room.

could they have seen you go into the changing room with 2 pieces of clothing and then come out with none?

Again no concrete evidence. Though the store are aware though of this right. Did you not say a worker was communicating on the phone.
Original post by student1R
could they have seen you go into the changing room with 2 pieces of clothing and then come out with none?

We went in with way more because my friend bought like 6 things afterwards. There was also nobody at the changing rooms and there’s no cctv in there.
Again no concrete evidence. Though the store are aware though of this right. Did you not say a worker was communicating on the phone.

Yeah, there was. But my friend was in there and it was just over two coat hangers, nothing else.
Yeah, there was. But my friend was in there and it was just over two coat hangers, nothing else.

Then again the worker has no say. It’s looking bleak though never shoplift again champ and realise your mistake do you know what a potential conviction could do on your record. You wouldn’t want that would you?
Reply 30
OP nobody can say for sure what will happen but it sounds like you may have got away with it. If you are arrested you need a solicitor.

If you get away with this then, like I said above, never do this again.
Then again the worker has no say. It’s looking bleak though never shoplift again champ and realise your mistake do you know what a potential conviction could do on your record. You wouldn’t want that would you?

No, I know. I’m never ever doing it again.
You don’t think they’ll identify me and arrest me do you?
Original post by Cote1
OP nobody can say for sure what will happen but it sounds like you may have got away with it. If you are arrested you need a solicitor.

If you get away with this then, like I said above, never do this again.

Hopefully. I just want someone to reassure me that they can’t somehow identify me when they don’t know who I am.
No, I know. I’m never ever doing it again.
You don’t think they’ll identify me and arrest me do you?

No chance. Well done for realising your mistake though. Though remember if you want something always purchase and keep proof of purchase steal never the answer I know you didn’t but reiteration key. :smile:
Hopefully. I just want someone to reassure me that they can’t somehow identify me when they don’t know who I am.

The least best you’ll get a telling off but that’s it. But I highly doubt without concrete and sufficient evidence and proof they cannot make a claim or prosecute against you.
Reply 35
Always be honest. At least it is a valuable lesson learnt. Never forget the fear you felt. It will stop you committing further offences. You don't want a criminal record.
The least best you’ll get a telling off but that’s it. But I highly doubt without concrete and sufficient evidence and proof they cannot make a claim or prosecute against you.

Yeah no. Like I said, the only thing they have is CCTV of me entering and leaving the store with bags from other stores and two coat hangers in a changing room that could’ve easily already been there.

There's nothing anyone here can say to re-assure you... you've just got to wait and see if anything comes of it. The only reassuring thing we can confidently say is that you won't go to prison for it. As I said, if a week elapses, then you've probably got away with it... but you're probably on their radar.
Yeah no. Like I said, the only thing they have is CCTV of me entering and leaving the store with bags from other stores and two coat hangers in a changing room that could’ve easily already been there.

Bags from other stores could suggest casual shopping, two coat hangers being left within a changing room could be you just demoing new jackets out you didn’t like it and left the hangers there.
Bags from other stores could suggest casual shopping, two coat hangers being left within a changing room could be you just demoing new jackets out you didn’t like it and left the hangers there.

Exactly. I don’t think they have any concrete evidence.

Latest

Trending

Trending