exercise tips for losing weight

Watch this thread
This discussion is closed.
gracieee16
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
is running 1hr every couple days in the mornings and those days i don't run, i walk 7k with my mum in the evenings. is this enough to lose quite a lot of weight? i will be signing up to a gym in a couple of months. but for now it's the running and fast walking.
anyone got any diet tips as well ??
like what should i eat and stop eating?
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by gracieee16)
is running 1hr every couple days in the mornings and those days i don't run, i walk 7k with my mum in the evenings. is this enough to lose quite a lot of weight? i will be signing up to a gym in a couple of months. but for now it's the running and fast walking.
Have you spoken to a dietician etc.? Are you overweight?

If I recall from your pics you don't need to "lose quite a lot of weight" :eek: unless you are asking for someone else?
gracieee16
Rep:
(Original post by ecolier)
Have you spoken to a dietician etc.? Are you overweight?

If I recall from your pics you don't need to "lose quite a lot of weight" :eek: unless you are asking for someone else?
i need to lose thigh fat and some stomach fat and gain some tone. just for health and the summer. i also know it helps skin as well so i hope it helps my back acne. which could be a solution.
i haven't spoken to a dietician but i have thought about not eating breakfast just a slimfast shake mix thing before i go for a run. then for the rest of the day, salads, healthier meals. it's been going well so far but my sugar cravings aren't helping and i'm always like"do i have this or not" and just don't eat it. it's incredibly hard but it's something to be motivated for and great for the mind.
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
i need to lose thigh fat and some stomach fat and gain some tone. just for health and the summer. i also know it helps skin as well so i hope it helps my back acne. which could be a solution.
i haven't spoken to a dietician but i have thought about not eating breakfast just a slimfast shake mix thing before i go for a run. then for the rest of the day, salads, healthier meals. it's been going well so far but my sugar cravings aren't helping and i'm always like"do i have this or not" and just don't eat it. it's incredibly hard but it's something to be motivated for and great for the mind.
Ah that makes more sense. Saying that the thigh is pretty hard to lose since it's mostly muscle (like the calves).

Not eating breakfast could also mean that you find it hard to get through the day too. I would definitely try to see if you could speak to a dietician first before doing anything.
gracieee16
Rep:
(Original post by ecolier)
Ah that makes more sense. Saying that the thigh is pretty hard to lose since it's mostly muscle (like the calves).

Not eating breakfast could also mean that you find it hard to get through the day too. I would definitely try to see if you could speak to a dietician first before doing anything.
ye i totally agree!! they are pretty hard to lose.

yes i get that. i don't usually eat breakfast anyway as i don't like eating early so i'm used to it. thank u! i will do!
mnot
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Id think this would burn a lot of calories, 7km is probably 8000 steps, so add in general daily activity you should be able to potentially get up to like 10-15,000 steps which is very good daily activity.

An hour of running is also a lot thats like a 10km run. You would probably have to eat a fair amount just to maintain that lifestyle.

I mean the obvious lifestyle things are, HIIT training, increase metabolic rate, eat a balanced diet in a calorie deficit (if you go for lean protein & vegetables you can eat bigger portions then carbohydrates/fats/sugars...)
gracieee16
Rep:
(Original post by mnot)
Id think this would burn a lot of calories, 7km is probably 8000 steps, so add in general daily activity you should be able to potentially get up to like 10-15,000 steps which is very good daily activity.

An hour of running is also a lot thats like a 10km run. You would probably have to eat a fair amount just to maintain that lifestyle.

I mean the obvious lifestyle things are, HIIT training, increase metabolic rate, eat a balanced diet in a calorie deficit (if you go for lean protein & vegetables you can eat bigger portions then carbohydrates/fats/sugars...)
yes that sounds pretty goooood. yes i need to eat more veggies... can running and walking tone down your stomach quite a lot? if i did this for months, let's say when it gets to june/july do u think i would have lost a lot of weight?
thank u so so much for ur reply and help!
mnot
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
yes that sounds pretty goooood. yes i need to eat more veggies... can running and walking tone down your stomach quite a lot? if i did this for months, let's say when it gets to june/july do u think i would have lost a lot of weight?
thank u so so much for ur reply and help!
Well it’ll burn energy, which if isn’t in your diet will be body fat, and if you have stomach fat around the abdomen it would burn this over time, but body fat burns from all over your body. But I don’t think it would necessarily add a lot of tone & definition unless your body is like less than 10% fat (at which point weight loss is not needed). Id think to add tone to the stomach you’d need to do stuff like callisthenics.
gracieee16
Rep:
(Original post by mnot)
Well it’ll burn energy, which if isn’t in your diet will be body fat, and if you have stomach fat around the abdomen it would burn this over time, but body fat burns from all over your body. But I don’t think it would necessarily add a lot of tone & definition unless your body is like less than 10% fat (at which point weight loss is not needed). Id think to add tone to the stomach you’d need to do stuff like callisthenics.
yes i have some fat. especially the thighs actually too. i find it hard to lose stomach fat though as i've been skinny before apart from my stomach area or it might be me thinking that but it's hard.
mnot
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
yes i have some fat. especially the thighs actually too. i find it hard to lose stomach fat though as i've been skinny before apart from my stomach area or it might be me thinking that but it's hard.
I think belly fat is generally just where the body stores fat on most people, it’s kind of just the way it is. Often just natural, if your body fat percentage is where you want it then that’s really the important thing.
bl0bf1sh
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
do you really "need" to lose "quite a lot of weight"? what's your age, height, current weight?
doing too much exercise, especially if you're not eating enough, will very likely lead to fatigue, injuries (been there, would not recommend), potential other problems etc. etc.
if you are running for 1 hour, you will need to fuel properly – before, after, and throughout the day and week. so don't skip breakfast. get enough carbs, protein, fats and all the other nutrients your body needs just to function, as well as to recover from exercise.
also running and fast walking are both pretty high-impact activities, could you mix it up a bit with some cycling or swimming or something, or some strength exercises? otherwise (in my experience) you are just asking to get injured. not fun at all.
best thing to do would be to see a gp or dietician or someone who can give you proper advice, specific to you, and not from some random people over the internet who don't know you at all
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
You don't need to lose 'a lot of weight', you need to see your GP.

You won't be able to just go out and immediately run for an hour, and certainly not on a poor diet and without the right equipment, like a really good pair of running shoes; how much can you afford to spend on kit?
super_hannah
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Hey! It's great that you want to start making a change by exercising more and reap the other benefits like for your skin as you said! I can tell you now that the only way you'll lose weight is in a calorie deficit. You can make that deficit larger by exercising more but obviously, you will need to fuel yourself before and after that. Your nutrition needs to be spot on as well, protein will become your best friend and this will help the cravings because it will keep you fuller for longer! No food is off limits as long as it is within your calorie goal then it's fine. You say you want to lose weight off your thighs and stomach as well however you cannot choose where you lose fat from. As a girl fat will mostly be stored on your thighs and waist area anyway. If you want to achieve that 'toned' look, strength training is the way to go as it will help you lose body fat and build muscle at the same time. You can message me if you want because I'm training to be a PT and my boyfriend is a qualified PT in person and online already so he could help you if you want some accountability
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by super_hannah)
Hey! It's great that you want to start making a change by exercising more and reap the other benefits like for your skin as you said! I can tell you now that the only way you'll lose weight is in a calorie deficit. You can make that deficit larger by exercising more but obviously, you will need to fuel yourself before and after that. Your nutrition needs to be spot on as well, protein will become your best friend and this will help the cravings because it will keep you fuller for longer! No food is off limits as long as it is within your calorie goal then it's fine. You say you want to lose weight off your thighs and stomach as well however you cannot choose where you lose fat from. As a girl fat will mostly be stored on your thighs and waist area anyway. If you want to achieve that 'toned' look, strength training is the way to go as it will help you lose body fat and build muscle at the same time. You can message me if you want because I'm training to be a PT and my boyfriend is a qualified PT in person and online already so he could help you if you want some accountability
You do know you are talking about losing weight and calorie deficits to someone who doesn't necessarily need to lose weight.

If you are training in to be a PT wouldn't you have been told do a proper consultation first? And how would you know the OP is telling you the full story over a message? Please don't jump in to giving advice like this.
Last edited by Surnia; 3 months ago
IOPerry
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Don't eat less; just eat healthier. Find physical activities that you love just for the sake of doing them. Don't obsess.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (154)
41.85%
Not yet, but I will soon (68)
18.48%
No (146)
39.67%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed