GCSE Decisions Help Needed!

Watch this thread
Anonymous13578
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi,
I am currently choosing my GCSEs so I am in year 9. I thought I could ask you for your opinions on the GCSEs I am planning to put down on my options form. If you have done or are doing any of the courses I have put down later then your ideas and suggestions would be really helpful.

In my school we need to take the set: English language, English literature, Maths and Combined Sciences; on top of this, we need to choose eight preference subjects of which school chooses four for us to study in KS4.

Just for some background information, I would like to go into research, broadly in physics.

At the moment my eight choices go as follows:
1. Separate Sciences (this is seen as an option at my school)
2. French or Spanish (I am currently studying both)
3. Music (I play a French Horn)
4. Computer Science
5. Citizenship
6. Drama
7. Religious Education
8. Design Technology

If the exam board is of any help then I am sure I could ask my teachers.

Any opinions or suggestions would be great.

From Moi.
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous13578)
Hi,
I am currently choosing my GCSEs so I am in year 9. I thought I could ask you for your opinions on the GCSEs I am planning to put down on my options form. If you have done or are doing any of the courses I have put down later then your ideas and suggestions would be really helpful.

In my school we need to take the set: English language, English literature, Maths and Combined Sciences; on top of this, we need to choose eight preference subjects of which school chooses four for us to study in KS4.

Just for some background information, I would like to go into research, broadly in physics.

4. Computer Science
5. Citizenship
6. Drama
7. Religious Education
8. Design Technology

From Moi.
So you get 4/8 choices?
That's pretty unusual - most schools ask for one reserve choice.
Citizenship isn't well regarded
Do you want to do a language or do you have to? [If so, why]
Anonymous13578
Rep:
(Original post by Muttley79)
So you get 4/8 choices?
That's pretty unusual - most schools ask for one reserve choice.
Citizenship isn't well regarded
Do you want to do a language or do you have to? [If so, why]
Yeah, I go to a tiny school so they don’t run every course every year.

I don’t have to do a language but I really want to, I can see the financial and social benefits of having one and I feel it would stretch my brain in a different way.

Can you expand on your comment of Citizenship please?
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Yeah, I go to a tiny school so they don’t run every course every year.

I don’t have to do a language but I really want to, I can see the financial and social benefits of having one and I feel it would stretch my brain in a different way.

Can you expand on your comment of Citizenship please?
Not many schools do Citizenship - it isn't a 'main' GCSE so won't add value to you - what other choices are open to you?
Anonymous13578
Rep:
Name:  BB7ACB9D-7291-4CD7-B0A4-303A716F9DAB.jpeg
Views: 14
Size:  82.3 KBName:  5A519F71-A21E-477B-B288-3631F446C644.jpeg
Views: 17
Size:  110.7 KBName:  9AFD1EE4-B06C-4125-BCDE-250B7C7827DC.jpeg
Views: 15
Size:  105.6 KB
Anonymous13578
Rep:
I don’t want to do any of the art ones (gray). I’m not at all a sporty person. I don’t really fancy doing a food course and they are really popular. I hate History and Geography isn’t really that enjoyable. As I am not a SEN student I can’t do Horticulture.
maariya7
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Hi,

4. Computer Science
5. Citizenship
6. Drama
7. Religious Education
8. Design Technology

From Moi.
Hi!
I took drama GCSE and I really enjoyed it! It can be stressful at times, especially with coursework, but overall I had a really positive experience. Even if you don't want to go into the dramatic arts, you learn so much about working both in a team and individually, critically analysing things and it really helps build confidence! I also found that it was really useful alongside English because most exam boards require that you study a play as part of the course, so there is a lot of overlap in skills and exam technique.
If you like languages, I would really recommend taking one. I took Spanish GCSE (and now do it for A-Level) and I really enjoyed it! Doing a language is also pretty well regarded by employers/sixth form colleges, and being able to speak another language even at a basic level is really good skill to have.
Hope this helps & good luck choosing your options!
Last edited by maariya7; 3 months ago
heythere:)
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Hey! I did design and technology and personally I loved it as a subject. It can be stressful when you’re making products as well as doing your ppt coursework and there are really tight deadlines however if you enjoy making products e.g. set designs, lamps etc. and enjoy making ppts which have to have detailed slides, this would definitely be the subject for you! The theory side of this is pretty straightforward from my own experience and the practical side is definitely the best bit - you learn many transferable skills from this gcse so highly recommend it.
hedgehog56
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I'd really recommend you do computer science, I absolutely loved it. it's really interesting and generally quite easy to get a good grade.
also you learn programming which is very desirable as a skill in many fields

definitely do a language as well
Last edited by hedgehog56; 3 months ago
skylark2
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
The only one which is likely to matter to you in any way is the separate sciences.

Are you good at the French horn? If the expected performance level is going to be something you can do in your sleep, you already have grade 5 theory etc. etc. then music (at least some of it) should be a gimme. Then it rather depends on whether having an easy option suits you or whether you hate being bored.

DT might be useful (husband did a physics PhD and one of the things he had to pass was a workshop course - he'd literally never used pillar drills, lathes etc. before, but you'd do that in DT.) It wouldn't matter if you didn't, though.

Similarly, computer science might be useful if it is going to be your only exposure to programming, but nobody's going to worry whether you have or haven't taken it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (25)
18.94%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (15)
11.36%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (10)
7.58%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (22)
16.67%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (34)
25.76%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (26)
19.7%

Watched Threads