Leicester vs. Sussex vs. Essex

Watch this thread
ajsa2828
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hello!

I will be studying Law in the UK this year as an international student from Canada. I am trying to decide on which school to attend. It's between University of Leicester, University of Sussex, and University of Essex.

Interested in knowing the overall popularity of these schools, and generally which one is considered the "better" school. I'd also like to know about the cities each of these universities are in and if that would have an impact on my time studying in the UK.

As an international student I don't know much about the schools or cities. Any advice/recommendations would be much appreciated!
aspiringsol95
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by ajsa2828)
Hello!

I will be studying Law in the UK this year as an international student from Canada. I am trying to decide on which school to attend. It's between University of Leicester, University of Sussex, and University of Essex.

Interested in knowing the overall popularity of these schools, and generally which one is considered the "better" school. I'd also like to know about the cities each of these universities are in and if that would have an impact on my time studying in the UK.

As an international student I don't know much about the schools or cities. Any advice/recommendations would be much appreciated!
Hi

I wasn't an international student but I studied at UoL and it is a really good law school. There are a lot of international students who attend there particularly Canadian (they have their own law society). The lectures are recorded (well they were when I studied there) they have some fantastic lecturers who are genuinely supportive, large library and good study resources.

Would recommend!
Last edited by aspiringsol95; 3 months ago
ajsa2828
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by aspiringsol95)
Hi

I wasn't an international student but I studied at UoL and it is a really good law school. There are a lot of international students who attend there particularly Canadian (they have their own law society). The lectures are recorded (well they were when I studied there) they have some fantastic lecturers who are genuinely supportive, large library and good study resources.

Would recommend!
Thank you so much for this!

May I ask your overall thoughts on the city of Leicester? Did you enjoy your time there?
RoyalBeams
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Hello!

They are all in the same bracket prestige-wise, so none is better than the rest.

Investigate each city and evaluate against the kind of city you want to live in, and your intended lifestyle, and then pick the best fit.
aspiringsol95
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Thank you so much for this!

May I ask your overall thoughts on the city of Leicester? Did you enjoy your time there?
It’s a multicultural city with a decent amount to do and see. Lots of shops good restaurants and night life is also good. I enjoyed my time there and felt the support was there too as long as you put the work in. If you’re looking for or prefer a busier city then maybe down south would be worth a look 😊
EVRoosevelt
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Hi! I can't be too helpful on this front, but I do have a bit of knowledge about Sussex, as I've a close relative who attends.

He's doing a Master's degree there, and to be honest, he finds it very... average. Obviously, different departments and levels will conduct themselves differently, but as I understand it, Sussex is primarily attended by those who live near to it, as a matter of convenience - in Brighton, or the surrounding counties.

He completed his BA at UCL, and was used to fairly academic people, with fairly academic attitudes. At Sussex, I think the entry requirements are quite a bit lower, and so he's found there to be more of a mix of students with regard to their abilities, which for him, being very academic, has been frustrating. Please don't misunderstand me, and think that I'm having a go at Sussex's attendants! It's more a comment on him, and the sort of university experience he prefers; there are plenty of people, of all abilities, that Sussex suits well - those who want a more laid-back approach to their learning, and less academic rigour. As an example, pre-pandemic, an acquaintance of mine wanted to go back to university to do a Master's, and he did it at Sussex, because, as it was so much less rigorous, he could fit his learning in with his schedule, without having to cut back on his working hours. He, like my relative, was very academic, but being there suited him.

TL;DR, Sussex, as I understand it (and this is only my opinion, based on what I've heard!), is more a university of convenience, for both students of higher and lower ability.

Edit - Also, I love Canada - could I ask what province/territory you're from?
Last edited by EVRoosevelt; 3 months ago
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Hello!

why would you come all the way from Canada to study in these dumps? I'd particularly avoid Essex.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I have to agree with A Rolling Stone - Leicester and Colchester are both absolute dumps as cities. I would pick Sussex as at least Brighton is an attractive city to live in for 3 years. They are all middling unis that will not attract many top academic students, but equally they aren't bad unis either. In terms of the "better" school I would place Leicester and Sussex as about equal and Essex bottom.

OP you may not be able to travel to visit these places in person but surely there are youtube videos etc you can access to get a feel for the uni campuses and the cities the unis are in
mmm123A
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Hey I am also going to law. I decided to go to Sussex, I am from Canada.
ROTL94 2
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by harrysbar)
Leicester and Colchester are both absolute dumps as cities.
Lived in the former for over 20 years, can confirm.
University of Leicester
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Hello!

I am a current 3rd year Biological Science student from the University of Leicester, I thought I'd help you out since I've studied here for the past 3 years.

Some great things that I appreciate about the university and the city:

Student Life- Campus life is really great, lots to do, My favourite place is the Percy gee building which houses the Student Union. it holds many cafes and food outlets. A personal preference is the Starbucks and the Caribbean food stalls. This is also where over 200 societies are held, from sports to cultural and religious, creative, dance and many more. You also have the option to start your very own society if you wish to do so.

Since you are wishing to study Law, I would mention that the university has its own Law Library separate from the university's main library with everything you will need for your studies in one space for you. I would check out this video of a students view of studying Law at Leicester to get an insight. (she also happens to be a Canadian international ) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4EdxG6ivDg

Leicester City- I personally love this city, it’s so diverse so you meet people from many different backgrounds, I've made friends from Finland, Nigeria, China, India, Ghana, just to name a few.(we don't fall short of international students here).Due to how diverse Leicester city is, they have celebrations such as Diwali and Caribbean festivals annually so there are lots to get involved in. Although Leicester is a city, it has some really lovely greenery around - Abbey Park is a favourite in the summer for walks and picnics. Victoria Park next to university is also a spot for students in the summer and is home to these Carnivals.

In terms of food and nightlife, there are plenty of restaurants with cuisines from all over from fast food to fine dining. Nightlife is great, there is something for everyone (literally), It's also quite a cheap city compared to other places which is key for student life. Finally, the location of Leicester in the UK is fantastic with transport systems meaning that we have the easiest access to most places in the UK. London is about an hour in the train away for example.

I really hope this helps, good luck in your decision making
Alex
Last edited by University of Leicester; 3 months ago
Muttley79
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Hello!

I'd go with Sussex although none of them are really noted for Law.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (133)
43.18%
Not yet, but I will soon (54)
17.53%
No (121)
39.29%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed