How can I get an IT job with no experience (entry level)?

Watch this thread
PleaseHelpMeASAp
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Just wondering if anybody was able to get an entry level IT job without any actual IT experience? I have been with the NHS in admin the past 8 months and am trying to move to the IT industry (with a first in computer science degree) but cant seem to get anything without experience. Any advice? Is it worth completing any IT courses (e.g ITIL) to help boost my chances? (I partly have a ccna networking certificate, is it worth doing the whole thing?). Would greatly appreciate any response.
tinyperson
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
you can try
Trinculo
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
If you're already in NHS try and get a move within the organisation to something closer in IT, even if its not technical, and then make a fuss and shuffle around there. It's the NHS, so ultimately no one cares and they'll happily put a fishmonger in the IT department so long as you fill in the application correctly. Hopefully that will be a way to get some experience, otherwise it's going to be the long road from helpdesk roles upward - or trying some self employment to claim as experience.
PleaseHelpMeASAp
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by Trinculo)
If you're already in NHS try and get a move within the organisation to something closer in IT, even if its not technical, and then make a fuss and shuffle around there. It's the NHS, so ultimately no one cares and they'll happily put a fishmonger in the IT department so long as you fill in the application correctly. Hopefully that will be a way to get some experience, otherwise it's going to be the long road from helpdesk roles upward - or trying some self employment to claim as experience.
Yeah have been applying for helpdesk roles in NHS, its the best I can prob get at this stage. Will have the occasional check elsewhere but think your right about looking in the NHS for the time being - appreciate the help!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA Combined Science - Biology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (59)
34.5%
The paper was reasonable (68)
39.77%
Not feeling great about that exam... (28)
16.37%
It was TERRIBLE (16)
9.36%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed