can I apply for BBB courses with ABC grades?

Watch this thread
user917
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I'm applying for Computer Science and all Unis i am interested in are asking for BBB, literally all of them.
The annoying thing is I was predicted ABB but covid cancelled my exams (I took 2 gap years, my inital exams were in 2020 but my school year ended in March and all exams were cancelled) and I was shocked to find out I actually got ABC because I got a C instead of a B.
BBB= 120 UCAS points, ABC also = 120 UCAS points.
What should I do?
Some Unis ask for 120 UCAS points, but some dont mention UCAS points and just ask for a grade, BBB in my case.
I mentioned in my personal statement that COVID cancelled all my exams and ruined one of my grades but thats assuming that they read my application and dont just deny me when they see I have ABC before reading the application.
Let me know what you guys think, thanks.
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by user917)
I'm applying for Computer Science and all Unis i am interested in are asking for BBB, literally all of them.
The annoying thing is I was predicted ABB but covid cancelled my exams (I took 2 gap years, my inital exams were in 2020 but my school year ended in March and all exams were cancelled) and I was shocked to find out I actually got ABC because I got a C instead of a B.
What should I do?
Some Unis ask for 120 UCAS points, but some dont mention UCAS points and just ask for a grade, BBB in my case.
I mentioned in my personal statement that COVID cancelled all my exams and ruined one of my grades but thats assuming that they read my application and dont just deny me when they see I have ABC before reading the application.
I don't think stuff like that belongs in a personal statement. It doesn't tell the admissions tutor at all why you want to study CS. Mitigating circumstances go in your reference and I'm not even sure covid counts as one of them.

Anyway to answer your question, yes, you should apply. Chances are BBB is an inflated requirement anyway to make the university look "better". Good luck.
skylark2
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
There are universities which will give offers based on UCAS points rather than grades - ABC is the same as BBB to them. They do tend to be universities with lower requirements.

Apart from the above, no, ABC is not as good as BBB. You are likely to get a straight rejection, especially given the massive grade inflation of the past couple of years. Best make sure you have at least one BBC choice. Everyone who is applying with achieved grades had their exams cancelled - you are not going to get special treatment because of it.
5hyl33n
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
What should I do?
COVID affected everyone. You can’t put that as a mitigating circumstance.
user917
Rep:
(Original post by Blue_Cow)
I don't think stuff like that belongs in a personal statement. It doesn't tell the admissions tutor at all why you want to study CS. Mitigating circumstances go in your reference and I'm not even sure covid counts as one of them.

Anyway to answer your question, yes, you should apply. Chances are BBB is an inflated requirement anyway to make the university look "better". Good luck.
thanks for the reply. I didnt make a big deal about it on my personal statement i just kind of skimmed over it vaguely but i think i'll remove it as you're right, it doesnt really tell them why i want to study CS. again thanks for the reply
user917
Rep:
(Original post by 5hyl33n)
COVID affected everyone. You can’t put that as a mitigating circumstance.
true true. its just a bit annoying that i was predicted ABB and got ABC instead and as a result some people are telling me i cant apply for BBB courses even though they equal the same amount of UCAS points. i guess i'm just a bit frustrated and trying to highlight that in my personal statement. you're right tho, i'm sure thousands of other students also didnt get to perform in their final exam in 2019 and also got some upsetting predicted grades. i'll remove the part about my predicted grade in my personal statement, thanks.
user917
Rep:
(Original post by skylark2)
There are universities which will give offers based on UCAS points rather than grades - ABC is the same as BBB to them. They do tend to be universities with lower requirements.

Apart from the above, no, ABC is not as good as BBB. You are likely to get a straight rejection, especially given the massive grade inflation of the past couple of years. Best make sure you have at least one BBC choice. Everyone who is applying with achieved grades had their exams cancelled - you are not going to get special treatment because of it.
yeah i've only found one uni which has asked for 120 ucas points (that i am interested in) rather than BBB, the other 5 or so are asking for BBB which is a bit frustrating. I will shoot my shot with two BBB unis and then try a shot at the 120 ucas points uni and then apply for two with BBC grades possibly
5hyl33n
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
true true. its just a bit annoying that i was predicted ABB and got ABC instead and as a result some people are telling me i cant apply for BBB courses even though they equal the same amount of UCAS points. i guess i'm just a bit frustrated and trying to highlight that in my personal statement. you're right tho, i'm sure thousands of other students also didnt get to perform in their final exam in 2019 and also got some upsetting predicted grades. i'll remove the part about my predicted grade in my personal statement, thanks.
Yes, I understand your concerns and why you are annoyed. This whole TAG situation has not been great.

You could always resit the A-Level you got a C in if it is really bothering you. But I suggest you try and forget it and instead focus on the future.

I wish you all best with your application and whatever you choose to do in the future.
user917
Rep:
(Original post by 5hyl33n)
Yes, I understand your concerns and why you are annoyed. This whole TAG situation has not been great.

You could always resit the A-Level you got a C in if it is really bothering you. But I suggest you try and forget it and instead focus on the future.

I wish you all best with your application and whatever you choose to do in the future.
thankyou (:
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
ABC doesnt meet the grade requirement. However in practice many universities will accept a drop of 1 grade. The big issue that nobody can tell you is how the grade inflation in the last 2 years will affect offerrs. I suspect at least a couple will make you offers but nobody can guarantee that. I suspect the issue with grade inflation will affect more people applying to higher graded universities than BBB.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (15)
22.06%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (7)
10.29%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
5.88%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (10)
14.71%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (16)
23.53%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (16)
23.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed