is getting a job in year 12 worth it?

Watch this thread
sabrina19_
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi! I'm thinking of getting a job as my mum finally says I can. I think it will give me something good to do, make me feel I have more purpose, and also give me more work experience. Most people in my year seem to have a job.
But I'm wondering whether universities think highly of having a part-time job, or would I be better off doing something else? I was also considering joining something like a youth club to make friends/develop skills (unsure if I could though, feel like due to family situation a job might be easier to work around my home life) I'm getting top grades and possibly aiming for Oxford also, does it matter what kind of job I get? Eg would it be better to work at a cafe as a waitress than doing cleaning? Thanks a lot!
TangyPanda
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
I would say that getting a part time job is a good idea. I started two part time jobs just before starting college and used to work both weekend days (which could get quite exhausting and I called in sick a lot). But I would say it is definitely a good idea to get one.

All jobs will give you skills to put on your UCAS application (teamwork, problem solving, conflict resolution, customer service, etc) so in that sense, any job would be good. You'll also get some money which is always nice. I think a youth club wouldn't give you anything that a job wouldn't - you can make friends and learn skills at a job, although I suppose that depends what kind of skills you mean.

Since you're aiming for Oxbridge, it may be a good idea to see if you can get some kind of experience in the sector you want to work in. Whether that is a job, volunteering, internship or anything; it would be helpful but not essential. This can be quite hard so if you can't get experience you could try doing some other things to show your dedication to the subject. You could try writing a blog and keeping up to date with news in the sector, maybe making a portfolio of work if that is relevant.

Overall, I'd say a job is a good idea and you would benefit from this as it gives you skills to put on your UCAS application.
sabrina19_
Rep:
Thanks, that's really reassuring. I'm not wholly set on a particular degree but currently looking at either History or Law, so I'm not sure what kind of job I could get that links more to those... I will already be getting work experience for Law this summer
TangyPanda
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by sabrina19_)
Thanks, that's really reassuring. I'm not wholly set on a particular degree but currently looking at either History or Law, so I'm not sure what kind of job I could get that links more to those... I will already be getting work experience for Law this summer
Work experience should be enough to show your passion for it. I wouldn’t worry about what kind of job you can get. You could probably link most jobs to some great skills like teamwork and communication etc. maybe just do some extra reading around the topic
sabrina19_
Rep:
Thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (3)
27.27%
The paper was reasonable (6)
54.55%
Not feeling great about that exam... (2)
18.18%
It was TERRIBLE (0)
0%

Watched Threads