Can I still be an immigration lawyer if I have worked for the Home Office?

Watch this thread
Tictac3
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I graduated with a first class law degree from a Russell Group in 2020 but since then I have been working for the Home Office.

I have always been the most interested in immigration law and I opted to study it for two semesters during my final year. I have never had any formal legal work experience but got involved in voluntary projects in my university’s law clinic and volunteered at citizens advice.

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on whether working for the Home Office has ruined my chances of becoming an immigration lawyer since the work of an immigration lawyer largely involves challenging Home Office decisions, not to mention the bad press that the Home Office get.
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
I imagine having experience of working there might make you better at your job as an immigration lawyer if anything...
Trinculo
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
It doesn't at any stage occur to you that this might be the one thing that gives you something of a tangible edge over all the other applicants who can only say they have read the Secret Barrister and were captain of the Y7 netball team?
Crazy Jamie
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Tictac3)
I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on whether working for the Home Office has ruined my chances of becoming an immigration lawyer since the work of an immigration lawyer largely involves challenging Home Office decisions, not to mention the bad press that the Home Office get.
Your tribal view of the legal industry, where someone will not be employed if they have worked for "the other side", is not how things work in the real world. What matters is the role you are doing, the experience you are gaining and the skills you are developing. If you are working on immigration related matters and gaining relevant skills your work with the Home Office may actually be an advantage to you in applications, and indeed working in the Home Office alone is at least more related to immigration work than, say, working in a Claimant PI firm as a legal secretary or paralegal. But either way, it's very common for lawyers to "switch sides" and do Claimant work when they'd previously done Defendant/Respondent work, or to defend when they'd previously prosecuted in criminal matters, even after they've been in practice for a while. As I say, the experience of working on cases from a different angle can actually be very beneficial.
Gmaster1980
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Crazy Jamie)
Your tribal view of the legal industry, where someone will not be employed if they have worked for "the other side", is not how things work in the real world. What matters is the role you are doing, the experience you are gaining and the skills you are developing. If you are working on immigration related matters and gaining relevant skills your work with the Home Office may actually be an advantage to you in applications, and indeed working in the Home Office alone is at least more related to immigration work than, say, working in a Claimant PI firm as a legal secretary or paralegal. But either way, it's very common for lawyers to "switch sides" and do Claimant work when they'd previously done Defendant/Respondent work, or to defend when they'd previously prosecuted in criminal matters, even after they've been in practice for a while. As I say, the experience of working on cases from a different angle can actually be very beneficial.
Maybe they saw that Elon Musk article from the other day....
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (17)
22.97%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (9)
12.16%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
5.41%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (10)
13.51%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (16)
21.62%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
24.32%

Watched Threads