Should I have a career plan when I apply for a postgrad degree?

Watch this thread
word_boxed
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I just finished my undergrad in 2021 in Literature and I do really want to continue with education but I don't have any career plans/aspirations. I tend to always do courses that I find enjoyment in and I chose Literature for that reason and it's always been something that I'm passionate about. So my questions are, should I have a plan? is it a bad idea to not have a plan?
yeet_21
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
would u rather do an msc or take the money and go travelling or some kind of gap year
Last edited by yeet_21; 3 months ago
word_boxed
Rep:
(Original post by yeet_21)
would u rather do an msc or take the money and go travelling or some kind of gap year
I would have to take out a loan to do it (I live in Scotland) and I'm honestly not a huge traveller, kind of just want to get my life on track and be happy (as cheesy at that sounds) haha
yeet_21
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by word_boxed)
I would have to take out a loan to do it (I live in Scotland) and I'm honestly not a huge traveller, kind of just want to get my life on track and be happy (as cheesy at that sounds) haha
if you don't know why you're studying post grad you can't get things back on track
word_boxed
Rep:
(Original post by yeet_21)
if you don't know why you're studying post grad you can't get things back on track
Yeah I guess so, never know though, it might bring more opportunities and ideas (though expensive ones), thanks for replying btw, I like hearing peoples opinions on this
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by word_boxed)
I just finished my undergrad in 2021 in Literature and I do really want to continue with education but I don't have any career plans/aspirations. I tend to always do courses that I find enjoyment in and I chose Literature for that reason and it's always been something that I'm passionate about. So my questions are, should I have a plan? is it a bad idea to not have a plan?
Some people are OK with not having a plan and diving head first into anything they find enjoyable. That's perfectly fine if you are able to absorb the potential risks and consequences.

It's up to you. I wouldn't be comfortable in spending another year or two (and the potential income/career progression lost) studying without a rough plan. That's just me and you should lead your life the way you want to.
Last edited by Blue_Cow; 3 months ago
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Id be concerned about losing the opportunity if you can only get funding for one masters degree. This could matter a lot when you look to starting a career.
word_boxed
Rep:
(Original post by Blue_Cow)
Some people are OK with not having a plan and diving head first into anything they find enjoyable. That's perfectly fine if you are able to absorb the potential risks and consequences.

It's up to you. I wouldn't be comfortable in spending another year or two (and the potential income/career progression lost) studying without a rough plan. That's just me and you should lead your life the way you want to.
Thanks for the reply! yeah that's something that is also making me hesitate. I generally know that I'd like to pursue this topic in terms of a career but I just have absolutely no idea specifically what haha
word_boxed
Rep:
(Original post by ajj2000)
Id be concerned about losing the opportunity if you can only get funding for one masters degree. This could matter a lot when you look to starting a career.
Thanks for the reply, yeah that's something that is making me hesitate too
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (19)
21.59%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (11)
12.5%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (5)
5.68%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (15)
17.05%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (19)
21.59%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
21.59%

Watched Threads