The Student Room Group

Is management regarded as a good degree by employers?

I have currently re applied to (and had offers) to study a management degree at Durham, Warwick, St Andrews, Bath and Loughborough after having a disastrous first year on an economics degree course at Edinburgh uni.
I am wondering if my management degree is going to be "looked down upon" or is going to make me a "second choice" compared with other graduates . (ps I really don't want this to sound snobby, its just I've read some things on TSR that have sparked these concerns)
Original post by Tasha-H-L
I have currently re applied to (and had offers) to study a management degree at Durham, Warwick, St Andrews, Bath and Loughborough after having a disastrous first year on an economics degree course at Edinburgh uni.
I am wondering if my management degree is going to be "looked down upon" or is going to make me a "second choice" compared with other graduates . (ps I really don't want this to sound snobby, its just I've read some things on TSR that have sparked these concerns)

Don't worry about it, the Universities you've picked out are good for management. Why didn't you apply to LSE and UCL? They are amazing for management! Did you not like London? If so, I understand.

Anyway, congratulation on the offers! I hope you have a wonderful time at your next University.
(edited 2 years ago)

It's a fine enough degree for entry into a wide range of commercially focused graduate schemes and entry level jobs. It's unlikely to parachute you straight into management, as actual management isn't an entry level position. Try and get some work experience during the degree, e.g. summer internships, a placement year, something along those lines.
Reply 3
Original post by Aspstudent
Don't worry about it, the Universities you've picked out are good for management. Why didn't you apply to LSE and UCL? They are amazing for management! Did you not like London? If so, I understand.

Anyway, congratulation on the offers! I hope you have a wonderful time at your next University.

Hi, thanks for the reply! I did some research about the unis and rankings and I chose my unis based on student satisfaction as my experience at Edinburgh has been far from satisfactory. I don't think UCL and LSE ranked as highly for student satisfaction as some of my choices. to be honest I kinda forgot to look at the London unis!

Hi there,

To introduce myself I’m Joao. In my final year studying BSc Economics at Surrey University, I am working as a Campus Ambassador for JP Morgan. I recently finished my one-year industrial placement as an Economist for the British Government’s Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra). I also had the opportunity to work as a Private Secretary to the Minister of Environment and Biosecurity.

I can understand your dilemma as I went through the same thing when deciding on a university to attend. Regarding your question, if by good degree you mean a degree that will help you find an excellent job in the future, Business Management is the way to go. Firstly, It is a degree where you will learn a bit of everything, although I am currently in my first year studying economics. I have learned so much, from law to economics to marketing. You will get to look at every subject that could be of use if you ever have your own business or work in a business environment. Secondly, this degree will open a lot of professional doors for you. People will say business management is a degree that is “too broad”, but I think that you get to look at all these exciting things and study them will only be beneficial professionally and for your personal life. Every domain has a business side to it, fashion, music, or writing. What I’m saying is that whatever your passion is or your interest is, with a business management degree, you can pursue it and go far. Thirdly, you have to take into consideration that a lot of people, especially in the UK, take this course, meaning that it is pretty competitive, so if you want to go for it you should put all the efforts you can, and you will strive in what you do. Nevertheless, if you work hard, you will accomplish great things to whatever degree.

Joao
Economics

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending