A-Level Edexcel English literature

Watch this thread
hibz_03
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I need help

I’m struggling so bad with English- I jsut can’t do it. I’m okay with poetry but prose and drama is a big struggle.

First, writing introductions are so so so hard I just can’t do it. Writing essays are even worse. I’m scared and stressed, I have my mocks in 2 weeks and I just- ugh, I’m gnna fail so bad (I’m in year 13).

The texts I’m studying are:

Poetry:
-Poems of the Decade
-Christina Rossetti

Drama:
-A Streetcar Names Desire
-Othello

Prose:
-The Handmaids Tale
-Frankenstein

If anyone could give me some tips and stuff I’ll really appreciate it. I’m just super struggling right now and I wanna cry lmao. Thank you
lara_westwood
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by hibz_03)
I need help

I’m struggling so bad with English- I jsut can’t do it. I’m okay with poetry but prose and drama is a big struggle.

First, writing introductions are so so so hard I just can’t do it. Writing essays are even worse. I’m scared and stressed, I have my mocks in 2 weeks and I just- ugh, I’m gnna fail so bad (I’m in year 13).

Poetry:
-Poems of the Decade
-Christina Rossetti

Drama:
-Othello

Prose:
-The Handmaids Tale
-Frankenstein

If anyone could give me some tips and stuff I’ll really appreciate it. I’m just super struggling right now and I wanna cry lmao. Thank you
I have some LitCharts stuff on Othello if you want it
Attached files
hibz_03
Rep:
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
(Original post by lara_westwood)
thank you so so so so much this is really helpful <33
ShardéFaith
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Quizlet is usually helpful for AO5 points and can help develop critical points for other texts (even if you don’t need to include AO5, sometimes it helps to see the text from another point of view)

In terms of writing introductions they don’t need to be too long, just set out your main arguments that your essay will address, introduce the text and maybe the time period.

Essay plans are key for Revision, going over themes and planning how you would answer the question. If that theme was ever to come up, you would have a general idea of how to answer it. I tend to find that a lot of themes you can get away with talking about the same points for different essays.
ShardéFaith
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
I need help

Poetry:
-Poems of the Decade
-Christina Rossetti

Drama:
-Othello

Prose:
-The Handmaids Tale
-Frankenstein

Also, with prose remember that there are four different texts that can be chosen with your given theme. So questions have to be fairly vague, this can be helpful because the exam can only ask about a handful of things. So if you cover key themes in your revision you’ll that a lot of it will apply to any question you get asked in an exam.
lewis twist
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
I need help

Poetry:
-Poems of the Decade
-Christina Rossetti

Drama:
-Othello

Prose:
-The Handmaids Tale
-Frankenstein

If you are in need of any academic assistance such as essay writing and notes writing I can offer my assistance
Last edited by lewis twist; 4 months ago
succubus666
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
i do those exact texts and i suggest you revise by making sure you know the texts inside and out and make essay plans on different ideas
lara_westwood
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Hi!

I have found even more stuff on 'Othello' that should be useful
Attached files
eeeeeeemos
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
hi do you have a pdf for streetcar named desire or handmaids tale/ Frankenstein. It would be of great help
eeeeeeemos
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
hi do you have a lit charts pdf for streetcar nested desire, Frankenstein, handmaids tale as well? It would be of great help
Hyperbolit
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I need help

Poetry:
-Poems of the Decade
-Christina Rossetti

Drama:
-Othello

Prose:
-The Handmaids Tale
-Frankenstein

Hey there! As a general guide, essay introductions should usually include 2 key elements:

- Context of the question (historical / cultural / political background of the work)
- Thesis statement (your argument / view on the topic outlined in the question)

Of course, the follow-up question would then be, how do I write about context and create a strong thesis? I made a couple of videos on this, so see if they help you at all:

- How to write a thesis statement
- How to include context in an essay

I've not done a whole lot of A-Level texts, but I do have some on Othello and Frankenstein. Again, see if they help you at all:

- Othello videos
- Frankenstein characterisation video
lara_westwood
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by eeeeeeemos)
hi do you have a lit charts pdf for streetcar nested desire, Frankenstein, handmaids tale as well? It would be of great help
Hi! Yes, I do! I have all of them.
eeeeeeemos
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi! Yes, I do! I have all of them.
Thank you so much! You're so kind, I wish you all the best <3
lara_westwood
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by eeeeeeemos)
Thank you so much! You're so kind, I wish you all the best <3
Aww! Of course!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (21)
31.82%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (25)
37.88%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
3.03%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
4.55%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
6.06%
I’m starting to consider my university options (9)
13.64%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.52%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.52%

Watched Threads