?
Report 14 years ago
4.90ph @ River Island
joesharp
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I got £3.84 an hour at Woolworths, was Xmas temp though.
Peppi
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
2.50 ph
dogtanian
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
£4.30, time and a half on Sundays and double time on Bank holidays/other public holidays.

Not the worst it could be, given that my minimum wage is £3.00...

Proportionally though, I'll be worse off in relation to that after March, as even though it goes up to £4.85 when I'm 18, that's much closer to the minimum wage.

Hm.

My friend's new job pays £6.80 an hour! it's a library. She'll only be doing four hours a week though.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Peppi)
2.50 ph
That is blatent slave labour :mad:
PinkPigeon
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
£4.67 at Debenhams- not worth it though...
dogtanian
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
That is blatent slave labour :mad:
She's over 16.

i'm fairly certain that by law she should get at least £3 an hour...
Lau200
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i get £10 for half an hour (private tuition music teaching)
but I only have two students like that! otherwise I work for the music centre here for which they pay me £7 an hour...and I have four kids throughout that period. Quite tough!
Laura
xx
LostRiot
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Ellie4)
It's bloody hard work, but you can make LOTS of money in tips. I got about £800 in tips just over christmas.
yeah, thats why its good, i've worked as a waiter and in safeway, safeway was really easy i spent the whole time doing nothing and its boring when you are doing stuff.
Being a waiter is very good in compairison
Peppi
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Hayley...)
She's over 16.

i'm fairly certain that by law she should get at least £3 an hour...

No 3 pound is only the recomended pay its not the law
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Peppi)
No 3 pound is only the recomended pay its not the law
you should be getting paid £3, anything less is slave labour, actually I think even £4 is nearing slave labour.

http://www.dti.gov.uk/er/nmw/

I once did a job for £60 a week working 9-5 but it was a modern accetenceship for some reason after two weeks I thought this crap and decided to go to college then onto university.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The Government has accepted the Low Pay Commission's recommendations for a new rate for 16 and 17 year olds (above compulsory school leaving age).*

£3.00 per hour from 1 October 2004

NB: 16 and 17 year old apprentices will be exempt from the new young workers rate.

This means that a boss must pay a 16 year old at least £3 an hour otherwise quite frankly they should get into big trouble.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
A smidge under £16.50ph atm
MorbidAngel
Badges: 11
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Lau200)
i get £10 for half an hour (private tuition music teaching)
but I only have two students like that! otherwise I work for the music centre here for which they pay me £7 an hour...and I have four kids throughout that period. Quite tough!
Laura
xx
i can beat that! £40 for 20 mins work. pity i didnt get that kinda work more often
Lau200
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
wow what work do u do? yeah it's good getting paid for something you enjoy and something that is relatively easy
(teaching basic music things whilst being bought cups of tea) :rolleyes:
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by PQ)
A smidge under £16.50ph atm
I never realised just how well paid university support staff were paid :p: That must be more than some lecturers get paid. Thats £34,320 although I know its probably more like £30k and probably about £27k by the time you pay tax but its still a lot.

If I worked full time I would be on £16,640 but I would have to pay taxes on that.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by andrew2022)
i can beat that! £40 for 20 mins work. pity i didnt get that kinda work more often
I am getting paid £32 just for a 20 minute interview in a few weeks time, its a long story and I cannot go to into what the interview but it will be easiest money I have ever earn't and the best bit its not me thats being interviewed
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
I never realised just how well paid university support staff were paid :p: That must be more than some lecturers get paid. Thats £34,320 although I know its probably more like £30k and probably about £27k by the time you pay tax but its still a lot.

If I worked full time I would be on £16,640 but I would have to pay taxes on that.
It's not that much - you're discounting holidays - I only work 215 days per year...at 7 hours a day
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by PQ)
It's not that much - you're discounting holidays - I only work 115 days per year...at 7 hours a day
Argh ok, I was doing it 52 weeks at 8 hours a day Althogh I realise 48 weeks is probably more typical.

Lets hope Pig dosn't reply to this, he probably earns more an hour than most people put together on here. I think my dad was on about £15 an hour in 1997 when he left but then had been doing the same job for 25 years so it should have been decent pay.
Luize
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by fasterpurple)
£4 an hour for standing about in a shop and occasionally selling things to customers. Also known as a Co-op food store.

It's incredibly boring and badly paid...generally quite sucky.
Wow they must have increased the pay then.
last June I worked there and was paid about £3.73 an hour.
Was terrible. Health and safety would have had a field day there, I think my back is still dodgy from them actually. They would expect me to come in for overtime with 2-3 hours notice. Soooo glad I don't work there anymore, they wanted me to go back as well. HA.

Now getting £5.25 to sit in a kitchen, eating biscuits and chatting to my Mum. Ocassionally playing connect four or Ludo, messing about on the PS2 or watching a film (or my choice most Fridays). And we get given flowers/wine/chocolates etc in the holidays.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (74)
23.95%
No (235)
76.05%

Watched Threads