Proportion Math GCSE problem. Help please

Watch this thread
JanaALEVEL
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
If it takes 6 men 4 days to dig a hole 3 meters deep, how long will it take 10 men to dig a hole 7 meters deep?
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Tameema Nawar)
6 men dig hole 3 metres deep in 4 days
PLEASE read the Maths forum rules and edit - it is not permitted to post solutions
JanaALEVEL
Rep:
(Original post by Muttley79)
PLEASE read the Maths forum rules and edit - it is not permitted to post solutions
If its not permitted to post solutions then what is the point of asking questions
username5794123
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by JanaALEVEL)
If its not permitted to post solutions then what is the point of asking questions
Well, the point of asking questions isn’t to just get the answer handed to you.
Muttley79
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
You get hints to lead you through - giving you the answer doesn't help. Maybe read the rules yourself?

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...8#post73536822
JanaALEVEL
Rep:
(Original post by 0ptics)
Well, the point of asking questions isn’t to just get the answer handed to you.
I didn't want the answer handed to me, I just wanted help in the question
Muttley79
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
If it takes 6 men 4 days to dig a hole 3 meters deep, how long will it take 10 men to dig a hole 7 meters deep?
So how long would 1 man take to dig a hole 3 metres deep?
Last edited by Muttley79; 3 months ago
username5794123
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I didn't want the answer handed to me, I just wanted help in the question
Clearly not.
JanaALEVEL
Rep:
So how long would 1 man take to dig a hole 3 metres deep?
Are you trying to prove a point or do you genuinely want to help. If it's the latter then my answer is I don't know because I don't understand where to start
Muttley79
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Are you trying to prove a point or do you genuinely want to help. If it's the latter then my answer is I don't know because I don't understand where to start
Rude! I'm trying to help

Think - will it take one man a longer or a shorter time than 6 men?
JanaALEVEL
Rep:
Rude! I'm trying to help

longer so if we do the ratio between 6 men who took 4 days and 1 man who took x days then its 6x4 which is 24 which means 1 man took 24 days (Is this right?) . Also I didn't mean to be rude I thought you were making fun of me
Last edited by JanaALEVEL; 3 months ago
harlz_chalamet
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Rude! I'm trying to help

at this rate, i would give up helping this person 😭
harlz_chalamet
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I'm doing GCSEs myself.
6 men = 4 days
divide by 6 to get one man and then times by 6 to get the number of days it would take
1 man = 24 days
now do the same for 10 men. it's kinda like you're doing the inverse
JanaALEVEL
Rep:
(Original post by harlz_chalamet)
I'm doing GCSEs myself.
6 men = 4 days
divide by 6 to get one man and then times by 6 to get the number of days it would take
1 man = 24 days
now do the same for 10 men. it's kinda like you're doing the inverse
Thanks I actually got it
Muttley79
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Thanks I actually got it
Then you want the hole 7 metres deep - so you need to think about that.

I tend to get people to think about a hole one metre deep first - that will take less time so ....
JanaALEVEL
Rep:
yes I did that I got (7x4)/3 = 56 then I used this info to work out the ratio of 1 man who took 56 days to dig a 7m hole with the ratio of 10 men who took x days to dig a hole 7m deep. I eventually got 5.6 by dividing 56 days on the 10 menThank you all so much
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA Combined Science - Biology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (59)
34.71%
The paper was reasonable (68)
40%
Not feeling great about that exam... (27)
15.88%
It was TERRIBLE (16)
9.41%

Watched Threads